See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 12 June 2014

The pictures on this site are of 2 different guest homes currently known as Sapunaya and Cago, Sapunaya moved to a new location and only has one guestroom, Cago (the original Sapunaya) I believe has 4 rooms. The original owners sold to friends so I'm sure where-ever you go they both will be great. We stayed with the original owners at Sapunaya, and were really happy with our choice. Great service, lovely owners. We received delicious big breakfasts each morning, a range of fresh fruit and baked breads, eggs how you like them done, and salad or vegetables with freshly brewed coffee and juice. Our room consisted of a large bedroom with double bed, separate living area with double doors leading out to a small zen garden with an outdoor bath and shower (very private) and nice to cool off in, as well as a full indoor bathroom, and bar fridge. I had an incredibly memorable time in Taketomi, bicycling, swimming, eating from delicious local places and relaxing for 4 nights. It is a small but simple, beautiful, quintessential Japanese destination. And the owners of Sapunaya are very helpful and sweet. They will pick you up from the ferry. We even got freshly baked brownies one afternoon.

Room Tip: There is only one room, The Suite Room
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ShanB74
さぷな家, オーナー at Sapunaya, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2014

Thank you for giving stay.
The stone of the yard was visible to zen.
That is a pebble of coral.
It is on the seashore of an island in large numbers.
Moreover, please come for stopping.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

We learned that this inn had been sold when we tried to book it for a stay in April 2014. The good news is that Sapunaya's reputation for excellence lives on with the new owners. The inn is now called Guesthouse Cago (in English) and Chiisana Shimayado Cago (in Japanese). I will post our review under the new names.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JandSNyc
Reviewed 19 July 2013 via mobile

This place is amazing, we definitely recomend it! The couple who runs the place are very serviceminded, helpful and sweet. The cottages are beautiful with tasteful decoration. Breakfast is delicious with lots of fruit. There is a small pool outside which is awsome on a warm day. Strongly recomend Sapunaya and Taketomi Island.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank MrDanielsson
Reviewed 19 June 2013

After looking around for places to stay in Taketomi we came across Sapunaya and it was the best choice we could have made. We'd just spent 3 weeks around Okinawa and this was our last stop before home. What a perfect way to end the trip! Fantastic room, dip pool, amazing breakfasts and out hosts could not have been more gracious. With a 7 month baby in tow, we thought it might be difficult, but not at all. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 December 2012

I was very pleased to have found this minshuku (guest house) on Trip Advisor and immediately knew I wanted to stay there. I was there for three nights and it was wonderful! The hosts could not have been kinder, the breakfasts more delicious and the accomodations more comfortable. There is nothing to do on the island but everyday was filled with activities for me from walks to the beautiful beaches, wandering the interesting paths and roads, visiting the numerous shops and eating excellent foods in the nearby restaurants. The guest house serves its own wonderful breakfast. It is a peaceful place and I was sorry to leave after spending three full days there. At the end of my stay, my host took me to one of the isolated beaches to see--a place where most people don't find. It was a wonderful wonderful stay and I can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: All the rooms must be lovely. There are only four.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple