“Never Again!!”

Mackinaw Mill Creek Campground
East Lansing, Michigan
“Never Again!!”
Reviewed 8 August 2011

The sites are small. We had a tent site that was all gravel and nearly impossible to pound our tent stakes into the ground. Bent most of them in the process. The campfire ring you have to get from the store is a joke. It looks like a small pizza pan with about 2 inch sides to it. The free putt putt golf was a serious joke and the pool looked on the greenish side. We had a family emergency and had to leave early and the staff would not adjust our dates so we could come back another time to complete our vacation. They said that our sites were rented out to us, and if we couldn't stay it was our loss.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank annie0295

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Reviewed 7 August 2011

Do you like going to bed at 10 pm when you’re on vacation? How about rude staff members? Do you like old, outdated shower rooms and rocky beaches? If so, mill creek is the campground for you! I used to go here with family when I was younger and booked for 5 days after a 15 year hiatus. To be honest, I wish I could forget those fond childhood memories because it disgusts me that they were at this place. I love the area and it’s too bad that this place is even part of it. This is a business first and a campground last. I was told by the owner that I should just go to bed at 10 after a petty complaint that my fire was still going and my radio was on ( at a low, reasonable volume) after quiet hours. This irks me, but that combined with the above-mentioned made for a miserable time. For a young adult like myself, this is not the place for me. When I plead my case to the owner, it went through one ear and out the other. I was basically told to conform or leave. It angers me to know that my family gave them business for all those years after seeing what this place has developed into.

• Stayed August 2011
7 Thank getatme
Frank R, Owner at Mackinaw Mill Creek Campground, responded to this review, 18 July 2012
Yes it is true, we have a "quiet hours" policy. I myself am a tent camper. In my own campground I refuse to put up with rude loud people who keep others awake (which happens in many other places). We make no secret of our "quiet hours" and post a toll free number to report night disturbances. This man was reported, he was disturbing other campers. He had music playing. One persons's music is another's noise and after 10 p.m. at night it is rude to subject others to music they probably don't enjoy. For being asked to be considerate of others he has tried to damage us by posting this same negative review all over the internet. We are proud to be a family owned and operated park entering our 50th year of operation. 40% of our guests return and 30% of new guests heard about us from someone else. We are proud to feature one mile of shoreline with a spectacular view of the Straits of Mackinac and the Mackinac Bridge.
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Reviewed 3 August 2011

Well as many other posters have already stated, this is an extremely large campground and the sites are very small. During our stay we rented a large cabin which had one double bed, a set of twin bunkbeds, a small refrigerator and microwave. The unit was was pretty run down compared to the other two cabins next to us (rented by friends) in the same price point. It looked nothing like the pictures on the website although we did see a couple cabins that did. Unfortunately when you make a reservation you are not able to reserve a specific cabin. Our cabin did not have a ceiling fan or an eating area and it had this large weird closet that should be torn out (they may have thought that they would add a bathroom at one time?). Each cabin did have its own campfire ring so you did not have to rent one of the tiny fire tins (about the size of a large pizza pan). The restrooms were newer and in good condition although they keep the family/handicapped shower locked. When my DH went to the nearby store to ask them to unlock it he was originally told that he would have to go to the main office at the front of the campground to get someone to unlock it. This would have been quite a hike and near impossible for someone who is handicapped. I then went back to the store and told the young girl that I needed her to call the front office and have them send someone. It took about 5-10 minutes for her to actually do this because she was too worried that they would be upset for being called out to help with the bathrooms. Seriously?!?! Very poor customer service. With regard to the shower situation they were clean but if you go to the actual shower house the stalls are created by shower curtains and not very private. They do have several individual showers at the toilet house but they are shared and get filled quickly. The first night we stayed we tried the camp pizza and it was nothing more than a frozen supermarket type pizza. The sauce appeared to be more the consistency of taco sauce vs pizza sauce. The store itself was very well equipped and provided a good variety of food and beverages (including alcohol). They had two large playground areas but the base was all sand and quite messy. The playground nearest the camp store had absolutely no shade and the other was about 50% shaded. The beach was pretty rocky and the water was mucky. On Thursday & Friday night we had some campers nearby who were pretty loud after quiet hours but then on Saturday we saw the campground attendant patrolling regularly and shooing kids back to their sites. Very inconsistent. It was nice the Starline ferry offered free shuttle service to and from the campground. Overall it was an ok experience but I will seek alternative lodging on my next trip to Mackinaw City.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank CDJD
We do not "rent" firepans, we let campers use them for free. This is so they can place their fire where they choose on their site. They are also allowed to use their own container if they have one. This spring we finished a bunch of major upgrades including our woods area bathrooms, park store, refinishing of a few dozen cabin floors and the complete remodel of two of our vintage cabins. None of our cabins could have been accurately described as "run down." Several of our cabins were still in their vintage 1940's style and were immaculate. Some people love the original 1940's style, some do not, so we chose to upgrade them all to knotty wood pine interiors so that all would be similar. Handicapped showers are kept locked to keep them available for handicapped campers. From what I understand this camper asked for help entering the handicapped showers, and received it. Our regular showers are all separated by curtains, which are opaque and full size, these curtained areas include the dressing area, so our showers do have privacy. Yes for the safety of children playing our playground feature sand (kids love the sand and it helps cushion any bumps or falls). Our park features 1 mile of beautiful natural beaches viewing the Mackinac Bridge and Mackinac Island. A portion of it is sandy (labeled on our maps) and is where most people swim. We pride ourselves on keeping a restful quiet environment. We post a toll free number (and list it on our camp maps) for campers to report night disturbances. Staff is on call 24/7 to answer any calls. We are entering our 50th season as a family owned and operated campground and are proud that 40% of our campers come back to see us again and again.
Montague, Michigan
Reviewed 3 August 2011

We rented a cabin that was right across from the park store, pool, and showers. Which was convenient to be sure, but a bit noisy. I see some comments about tight quarters for tents and I cannot review that, not having camped in a tent. We were part of a group that rented cabins and one who rented a space for an RV. On both accounts, we were satisfied. The cabin we rented for the week had a double bed and four twins. There was a little refrigerator and microwave. There could have been more plug-ins as we struggled to find a spot for a coffee maker. (yes not roughing to much). The mattresses were covered in plastic and you bring your own bedding so I strongly suggest you bring a blanket to fold on the mattress under the sheet to be more comfortable. Mosquitoes were bad, but yes, this is the great out-doors. Bring bug spray! Our fire ring area was adequate and we found space for a clothesline. We are SCUBA divers and found this to be a great spot to use as a base. We spent the week diving local sites as well as heading to the Soo and White fish Bay. Thee are a ton of activities available in the campground from basketball and playgrounds to arcade games, pool and many other activities. There was even a fire engine that gave free rides around the camp ground. Activities weren't well advertised but there were a LOT of them. We all agreed that if you were bored, it was because you wanted to be. Like frosting on the cake, the view of the bridge and Lake is fantastic as well. We plan to come back again. Will spring for a larger cabin.

Room Tip: Be sure to give a full picture of who will be staying in the cabin. I said we were a family of 6, b...