“Great Lasagna! No Refills.”

Nonna Lisa's Italian Ristorante
Ranked #24 of 56 Restaurants in Mackinaw City
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 22 August 2016

My wife and I ate a late dinner here while visiting for the weekend. We tried the bruschetta before dinner and it was very good. The garlic bread served with the large dish of marinated tomatoes and basil was made with freshly roasted garlic. This made it extra tasty and is a meal all by itself. I had the lasagna and thought it was very good. The homemade sauce was great and the portion size is large. I really enjoyed it! It was served with a homemade breadstick which was also very good. In all my wife and I really enjoyed our food. The only drawback was the service. Our waiter greeted us promptly, took our order and brought our drinks right away. The Bruschetta came out of the kitchen quickly and our main course followed, which was all good. The bad part was that once we had our food, our waiter never came back once to check on us or offer to refill our drinks. The empty cups sat there the entire dinner. After watching him at one table and then another, only to disappear into the kitchen, I finally took my wife's empty water cup to a person near the bar who refilled her water for us. It took another 10-15 minutes for him to come and clear our table after we had finished. We handed him our card without reviewing the bill and asked to be cashed out as we had waited longer than we wanted to and just wanted to get going. I honestly thought if we waited to review the bill that we would wait another 10 minutes for him to pick it up and cash us out. We ate at 8:30 in the evening and the place was half full. There was just no excuse not to refill my ice tea, my wife's water, and check on us after we received the food. Understanding that one meal and one waiter may not indicate a trend, I would still go back because the food was very good. Hopefully we will get a better waiter.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,210)

Reviewed 21 August 2016

Interesting Upper Michigan style decor but dust and cobwebs are all over the ceiling and stuffed trophies.

We ordered breadsticks and marinara to start.

These are literally just Gordon's Food Service breadsticks... baked up. Not impressed.

When I went to shake some Parmesan cheese on the sticks, the entire cover fell off onto my food and cheese spilled everywhere. So - not really the restaurant's fault... some crappy teenager, probably... but possibly something the busser could have caught? I don't know. Not a big deal. I felt bad for making a mess.

I ordered a pizza with chicken and banana peppers, but they made it with green peppers. Not a huge deal, by itself... our very nice, helpful waitress apologized and offered to have another one made... but it took a long time to make it to start, so I said it was fine and I would just eat that one. She even showed me the order slip that showed banana peppers, but again - not a big deal by itself.

My wife then found a long hair in her salad.

The waitress was embarrassed and the manager came over to see. He never spoke to us, only to her - in front of us. His solution to the multiple mistakes was "Then get them a new one!"

Meh... the waitress was great and ended up making it right on the bill, but we were definitely not impressed and we won't go back on our next trip.

My family and I could have over-looked all the service errors if the manager hadn't been so dismissive.

1  Thank Matt N
Reviewed 21 August 2016

The atmosphere is quaint and touristy. Very "up north", but the food was very average. This was real old school "Italian" food with lots of basic tomato sauce, pasta and heavy on the cheese. For those that like this Italian food, they would find it very good. I personally prefer the Olive Garden to the food at Nonna Lisa. I'm from Southeast Michigan and we have many really good Italian restaurants and unfortunately, I compared Nonna Lisa's to what I am used to eating, This restaurant also cost more than any other on our trip and I even had a 10% off coupon from the hotel. I spent $86.00 with coupon and tip for 3 people.

2  Thank Colleen D
Reviewed 20 August 2016 via mobile

Avoid if possible. Service was good and friendly, though somewhat slow. The food however was awful. Both pasta dishes the kids had were average. Pizza was poor, despite the wood fired oven, and the White Fish was dry and tasteless. Avoid if possible.

1  Thank fv17
Reviewed 18 August 2016 via mobile

Don't get drawn by the nice exterior of the place. Or the good rating on Tripadvisor. This place is not a restaurant it is a disaster. Yet they have so much to succeed: Friendly personnel, good location, nice and large building. Why is it so bad? They do pizza. They have a real wood fired oven intended to cook pizza. But it was terrible. The dough is not hand tossed fresh dough it is frozen ready made. The ingredients are pre-cooked (over cooked) and tossed on top. The ingredients are terrible. Now a real chef or even an ordinary cook would know that the result will be awful. So give better ingredients to the cook or get a better cook since now both are bad.

1  Thank Calvin-Hobbes44