“A Tradition”

El Azteco
Ranked #70 of 505 Restaurants in Lansing
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 14 September 2017

It's not fancy. Don't look at the floor or walls or scabbed up tables and if noise bothers you, it's not your spot. But the cheese dip! The topopo! The fajitas! The Sangria! I just remind myself that my kitchen at home isn't that clean either (not saying theirs isn't, by the way, just that I'm not fussy when the food is good.) And the food is good. The chips, a little greasy and it wasn't as good a price deal as it used to be. But we'll keep going. We'll stuff ourselves and curse it later, but we'll be back.

Reviewed 9 August 2017

The is the best and most authentic Mexican restaurant in Lansing. It leans a little to the New Mexican side, which I like. The chips and salsa are good, and the cheese dip is delicious (not a traditional yellow queso but a thick white dip made from cottage cheese among other ingredients. I hate cottage cheese, but this is worth trying). The blue corn enchiladas are popular, but every time I go I get the combo plate. Most things come with either red or green sauce - I opt for the green because it's more spicy. Don't expect a classy place, but the food is very good.

Reviewed 11 July 2017

Always have great service and food! They staff even remembers what our usual lunch order is! Pretty impressive!

Reviewed 16 June 2017

If you like Mexican food, you will love the food at El Azteco on West Saginaw, which my wife and I believe is better food than the East Lansing location. Our favorite dish is the Topopo Salad with a Dos Equis Amber. It is the best! If you think you have enough room, then first order the Cheese Dip: combination of cottage cheese, sour cream, muenster cheese & spices. It is wonderful.

When our kids (in their 40's) visit from Manhattan, El Az is their "go to" restaurant. They loved it growing up, and continue to love it.

If you are looking for ambiance, wrong place to go. If you are looking for great food, this is the place.

Reviewed 24 May 2017

Not much of an atmosphere. Always appears dirty. Salad is good and a favorite for many people. A cheese starter is tasty, as well as the chips and salsa. Service is good..