All reviews holiday inn public areas comfortable beds average hotel staff was friendly east lansing coffee maker valencia conference courtyard msu
Reviewed 25 September 2017

To the owner and management of this hotel - your company culture needs overhaul. To have the number of poor encounters my colleague and I had during a simple 24 hour stay tells me that your employees do not like coming to work. You do not give them authority to make things right so that they can have the experience of problem solving for your guests and you are doing no service to their careers by not teaching them simple customer service.

From beginning to end, encounters with the staff was full of blame on others, Two days before my stay I received a call at my work place needing my credit card # "or you'll lose the room." Although it was reserved through a website months in advance I was told about the website not being very good. How about, "I am so sorry to disturb you at work, we will need your credit card number - is it possible for you or someone else to call me back in the next 24 hours?" This was followed by a few more equally minor, but poorly handled encounters, cumulating with the "FREE WI FI" debacle.

There is not free wi fi in the rooms, at least not in the two involved with my stay. The other person and I independently called the front desk and were given different explanations from "your room is too far from the router," to "there are too many people on the system." When I talked to the manager this morning he insisted that there is, indeed, free wi fi in all of the rooms. That was followed by "the owner is planning to fix it next month." (so is there, or is there not wifi?) The end result was still no apology other than one that the owner does not compensate guests for lack of wi fi (so, this IS a problem apparently if there is such a policy). That was ended with "sorry."

Rooms were fine, plenty of parking. Plenty of other places to stay where your business is cherished.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Donnalap P
Reviewed 20 September 2017

I booked a banquet room for my graduation party (contract was signed by both parties); and I sent invitations to my friends. The next day, the hotel canceled my contract (called the police on me). They wouldn't explain what happened. They were so rude and mean. The manage told me to "get out." They ruined my party. Very unfortunate. Contract doesn't mean anything to them. It is a lawless place. If you have an event, and you have a contract with this hotel, hold your breathe, for they might cancel on you. You have been warned. The police had to ask them to give me a copy of my contract, for they didn't want to give me. The manager told me to get out and call my lawyer. I can't believe that someone will be that rude to his customer. I am speechless. To talk to me, they sent a black guy to calm me down, as if I was a thug (I had just finished from law school) and I was treated like a black thug. What a shame. If you are visiting Lansing, avoid this hotel. You will be treated like a thug.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 July 2017 via mobile

I checked into the hotel after 7pm on Friday, July 14th 2017. I waited to check in for about 10 minutes. There were three ladies checking in your customers. One lady had a group of construction workers while the other two were each checking in a couple. One lady finished checking in and ignored the fact that I was standing there. The second lady finished checking in and then looked at me and did ask "Do you need help?" I was never instructed on the hotel being a "pay up front" hotel, which was no big deal but I would have liked to split the payment up paying cash and credit card. I went to check out Sunday morning and was told I now could not do that and the lady who checked me in should have explained that to me.

Me and my girls went up to our room (565, I believe) literally dropped our luggage off and left for dinner. When we returned back to the room about 1.5 hours later, we were able to figure out that the bathroom had not been cleaned before we were given the hotel room. We figured out that there were quit a few non satifactory things wrong.

1) There was NO towels for us
2) We had little toilet paper on a role with no roles unopened
3) The bathtub and shower was not cleaned
4) The sink was not cleaned, hair and left over toothpaste in the sink
5) There was an open USED bar of soap on the soap dispenser
6) A USED toothbrush on the sink
7) A USED dirty hand towl on the sink
8) No liners in the trash bins

I called down to the front desk and explained the situation only to be asked to be placed on hold for a "second". Well, a second turned in to 10 minutes. After waiting for ten minutes, I hung up and called back and spoke to a female. After exlaining to the female the situation her response was "We don't have house keeping on staff at the moment, I can leave a note for our manager to receive in the moring to have house keeping come service your room first thing in the morning. Along with the inconvience we will discount your room." I was able to find out from the female that housekeeping came in around 8am and to expect someone there around that time. I told her we were leaving the hotel for the day before 8am but would like towels in our room to freshen up. I also explained to her there are four girls staying in this hotel room to please bring 8 towels along with some wash clothes. After waiting about 30 minutes, I again called back down to the front desk to tell them we were still waiting for towels. When the said towels were finally brought to our room, there were TWO!!!!

Saturday morning, We all got up and left the room by 8:10am. When returning to our hotel room around 4pm NO ONE HAD EVEN BEEN TO OUR ROOM YET! I called back down to the front desk and I spoke with Carlos (I believe). I AGAIN explained to Carlos the situation and he said he would get someone right up there, 45 minutes went by and still no service. I called back down to the front desk, speaking with Carlos again and he said "oh, yeah I was just going to call someone to come service the room".

House keeping finally arrrived and the lady that serviced our room was embarressed by the situation, after all she was the one that had to "clean the mess" and be face-to-face with unhappy guests. I do have to say she tried to make us happy. Our direct experience with this poor lady was not bad.

Upon checking out I asked another lady if our room was indeed discounted (again explaining the situation) and I asked for a receipt. Her response was "I will take notes for all of this and since you booked through expedia you should have been emailed a receipt." Checking my email NO RECEIPT WAS EMAILED.

I have NEVER been to a hotel with such horrible customer service. The job of your staff is to make your guests feel happy and welcome. Never did I feel this way while staying. While I totally undersand there is not housekeeping on staff in the evening time, but your staff should do what ever it takes to make your guest happy. I was NEVER asked during any conversation "what can our staff do to help you" I work customer service and know how to treat people.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
Causeway A, Manager at Causeway Bay Lansing Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2017

We apologize your stay was less than satisfactory. We value all comments and concerns and will be addressing these issues.

Reviewed 6 July 2017

I don't get the bad reviews. This place is better than OK with nice rooms , good beds, good public areas. Breakfast not much but okay. Rooms clean but lacking in small details. (My coffee maker had not been cleaned for example) Prompt response from front desk for TV malfunctions.

Stayed: July 2017
Accounting C, Manager at Causeway Bay Lansing Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2017

Thank you. We try our best to treat our guests with exceptional service.

Reviewed 29 June 2017 via mobile

Stayed 3 nights had no housekeeping had to call for towels. Whirlpool not working this info was not on website. Room was never cleaned during our stay. Very disappointed. Would not return not recommend. Hotel looked like it was not kept up. Website pics seemed too nice.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple