“Theft from room/housekeeping entering w/o permission - will never go there again”

Causeway Bay Lansing Hotel
Ranked #15 of 26 Hotels in Lansing
Reviewed 2 November 2016

Arrived there on a Friday for a friend's Halloween party that weekend. Placed "do not disturb" sign on door FOR THE WEEKEND - Housekeeping showed up once while we were gone Sat morning and made beds - not cool. We leave to have dinner with friends around 8 pm, then upon returning around 9:20 pm our key cards were deactivated. Then housekeeping returns again at 9:40 pm saying they were told the room was vacant.
We leave for party at 10:30 pm and return at 4 am - my overnight bag was missing from my room. All of my clothing/jewelry/cash/makeup and personal items (save for the t-shirt and jeans on my bed) gone.
Notified management and was told "a key card was used at 11:49 pm that Sat evening". (Keep in mind the times I was gone from my party) And my friend and I had our key cards in our possession...apparently we learned the hotel was overbooked and someone must have had a key to our room.
Upon dressing to check out that Sunday, housekeeping AGAIN knocks once on the door, announces herself then puts in her key to open the door. (The do not disturb sign was still outside on the door!!)
Police was notified and a report has been filed. We also learned that ours was not the only report filed that weekend, for other items were reported missing from their rooms. I feel violated and am very upset. I will never go there again, and strongly advise others to look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Look somewhere else
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends
2  Thank Ronessa S
There are newer reviews for Causeway Bay Lansing Hotel

Reviewed 31 October 2016

Much improved over my previous visit 5 years ago.
The restaurant was actually open this time.
And there were people around.
Staff was good as before.
Room was comfortable.
Prices are affordable.
I would return again

Only negative was minimal sound deadening in the rooms. Could hear everything in the hallways including conversations.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family
Karen D, Guest Relations Manager at Causeway Bay Lansing Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2016

Dear Desert Sailor,

Thank you so very much or noticing! There have been over 1.5 million in renovations done, and there are still more improvements made daily. Guest Service Excellence is our number one focus, and your comments mean a lot to the staff. I have brought the issues of sound traveling into the rooms to our General Manager, and we are currently working on a solution.

Thank you for your time and effort in reviewing our hotel,

Karen D.

Reviewed 31 October 2016

This was my second stay at the Causeway Bay. I didn't have high expectations. I consider it to be a mid-range, value hotel. This time I had a few unfortunate experiences.

When I made coffee on our first morning using the in-room drip machine, I noticed my coffee tasted a bit strange. I opened it to discover that the previous coffee filter-pack had been left in there from the previous guests. We stayed two nights. After the maid service came, there didn't appear to be any change to our hotel room at all. Unsurprisingly, the coffee filter-pack from my second attempt at coffee from the previous morning had been left in the coffee machine as well.

Of greatest concern was that we had two rooms that adjoined to one of the corner party rooms. Over night, a friend of ours had his wallet and an expensive bottle of liquor stolen from that room.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 October 2016

Stayed here 2 nights and I will not come back unless there is no other viable alternative. I booked this hotel through Priceline and had to pay $135/night due to a busy town with the MSU-UofM football game in town. When I checked in, the front desk noted that I had booked through Priceline but asked for my credit card nonetheless; I reminded her that I had already paid via Priceline and declined giving her my credit card. The hotel is an older model conference center-hotel (formerly Holiday Inn) and hasn't been updated much. I had a king room and it was decent; good linens, a magnifying makeup mirror (bonus) and clean. The bathroom had chipped tiles and the floor was stained. I was here on business so planned to work in my room but for a whole day and night, the wireless didn't work (likely due to the large volume--hotel was full), the halls were noisy and the breakfast was starch, cold eggs and yogurt. Very cheap for almost $150/night!! After a full day at a business meeting, I came back to my room to find a note on my room door indicating I needed to go to the front desk. I attempted to go into my room first but found that my keys had been deactivated. The front desk indicated that my "card had been declined". !!!!!!! They didn't even have my card because I"d already paid via Priceline!!!

I overheard employees griping about management and I can understand why! Profits are mounting but nothing is going back into the business. Speculation!

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 October 2016 via mobile

I have been coming here annually with a convention group of around 200 people for the last 5 years. During this time they had and lost a Best Western franchise. The housekeeping is still bad - beds made and fresh towels, but nothing vacuumed or wiped down. At least that happened on the week days. The weekend was a different story as I had to call at 5:30 to have the room cleaned (and request replacement toilet paper and a new hair dryer). This may be due to some type of management miscommunication. I (and others from our group) wondered if management didn't care so much as we were on the last year of a multi year contract. I didn't notice bed bugs, but I had to take a shower when I got home as my entire body itched and felt "dirty". (Don't get me started on the three tries the front desk had for finally getting a room with the requirements I asked for as well as a toilet that flushed.). So glad we are moving to a different hotel for future conventions. Too bad I couldn't give a zero rating.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled on business