“Good food and excellent service in long-time favorite”

Hilltop Family Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 10 Restaurants in L'Anse
Price range: USD 6 - USD 20
Cuisines: American, Pizza
Description: Family restaurant with bakery, full breakfast, BBQ, pizza, sandwiches, salads, desserts, gift shop and great service!
Reviewed 1 September 2011

I was surprised when I went to review the Hilltop that Trip Advisor had no listing for it! This restaurant has been around for a long, long time and really represents the best of what a mom and pop diner should be in the Upper Peninsula.

The waitresses are friendly and efficient. In some local diner type places the tourists can get ignored as the waitresses spend their time chatting with their regular customers (this happened more than once on our recent 2.5 week tour of the U.P.), but this is not the case at Hilltop, where service is just as good, no matter who you are.

My most recent meal there was breakfast where my daughter and I shared an egg/hash brown/bacon breakfast that came with homemade wheat toast. Everything was very flavorful and hot when it came out, not greasy at all. Our request for crisp bacon came perfectly crisp. My husband's oatmeal and toast were hot and tasty as well.

The review could end there and I'd say it is a good place to stop for a meal, but that would be missing the icing on the cake (or roll) for what makes Hilltop worth a stop. For decades they have been making cinnamon rolls from scratch that are as big as a child's head. They are quite the bargain at less that $4. We were lucky to catch them when they were fresh right out of the oven. My family shared one and we had enough left to snack on the next morning. The rolls have a light texture (not chewy) and are very flavorful. They come with ample icing as well. My husband loves cinnamon rolls and he was raving over this one.

It used to be that they'd make cinnamon rolls in the morning and when they ran out, they were done for the day, but now they make batches all day. They do have them wrapped to take out and even have web-based sales of them since they've gotten so popular, but warm from the oven with a cup of coffee is the best way to eat them.

The Hilltop has always prided itself on fresh, from scratch cooking and my recent visit tells me they are still getting it right. Their prices are a little higher than you'd expect in a diner, but the quality of the food makes it a good value.