“I loved it, but my guests weren't as thrilled”
Review of Pho Soc Trang

Pho Soc Trang
Ranked #25 of 57 Restaurants in Kentwood
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Reviewed 24 May 2016 via mobile

Pho Soc Trang was my pick for lunch. I'm an adventurous eater, and enjoy a wide variety of foods. I don't consider it, but I've been called a foodie.

I absolutely loved the food at this resturant, the service was prompt, and the dining was clean.

I ordered #12, aka Rare beef and tendons w/rice noodles, and apps 1/2. The beef was tender and the cartilage melted in my mouth. Topped with spouts, basil, and bit of lime and chili paste.. I enjoyed every bite.

It was busy, and with only one waitress we did miss out on water refills and I would of requested more sprouts.

My guests weren't as thrilled, but their complaints weren't about the food. One had trouble eating with chop sticks and I guess feared asking for a fork. And the other complaint was about the "smell" of the resturant. No, it doesn't smell like McDonald's or a bakery. It's Vietnamese food!

Their minor complaints aside, I'd recommend this place! And if your the timid type, bring a fork.

Enjoy!

Reviewed 1 April 2016 via mobile

I love this place! It brings back memories of the three years I lived in Asia. The Pho is awesome, best I've had outside of Viet Nam. The beef tendon is my favorite. Portions are generous and prices very reasonable. The decor is not the greatest, but it adds to its allure. I love sights, sounds, smells and tastes here, and when I close my eyes I can imagine myself back in Hoi An.

Reviewed 21 December 2015

I ordered chicken and vegetables with rice. What arrived was a decent portion of plain white rice (about 12oz cooked), two small fried chicken wings on top, two slices of raw tomato and raw cucumber on the side for $10!!! Two very small bone in pieces of overcooked fried chicken on a bed of white rice with a couple raw vegetables for garnish... $10!!! Really?

The chicken was sliced through the bones making already small bones tiny and shredded, perfect if you like your chicken with a mouth full of bones. The floor was gross, bathrooms gross, employee/owners child running around yelling, turning the lights off, etc. Employee running the loud vacuum before close while guests are dining. Awful, will never return.

Reviewed 25 October 2015

The food here is always good. They have fried bananas on Sunday which are excellent. The service is always good.

Reviewed 4 October 2015

If Grand Rapids had an official Chinatown, this place would be in the center of it. There are quite a few oriental places in the surrounding neighborhood, however, there are many restaurants of other nationalities mixed in as well (many Mexican).

I've eaten a few times at Wei Wei Dim Sum (just around the corner in the same building) and every time I went there I saw the sign for Pho Soc Trang and always thought "someday I should try out that place".

Today I did.

The Pho is amazingly inexpensive for a VERY large bowl. The greens, sprouts, hot peppers and limes are served on the side in a plate so that you can add them in to your liking. There are large squeeze bottles of sriracha sauce and hoisin sauce on the tables.

The beef in the #10 Pho is just average in quality and is served in the broth rare. Don't dig right in and eat the reddish meat right away, let the hot broth cook it for a little while before you eat it. Don't wait too long (to eat your meat), because the meat will overcook and turn rubbery.

This is not the best quality Pho in the state of Michigan but the amazing price does make this the best value.

The App menu Vietnamese rolls (Menu item #2) are good and full of shrimp (see photo).

In my hometown of Flint Michigan, there is ONLY ONE place where you can buy Pho (MaMang), and it is only available during the Farmer's Market hours of operation. The Pho there costs $9. a bowl and the bowls there are half the size of the ones here at Pho Soc Trang. I will have to admit that the Pho in Flint is of a higher quality and is worth seeking out, however there are only two or three varieties available there.