“Not a very nice place to stay”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #27 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Kimberly, Wisconsin
“Not a very nice place to stay”
Reviewed 13 August 2010

We stayed here at a time when the hotel was completely booked due to workers for a local oil spill. The hotel is all non-smoking, but the hallways all reeked of smoke. My husband saw several men drinking and smoking in a hall just outside our room in the late evening. The bedroom had stained carpet all around the room. The beds were hard, the springs in the mattresses were noisy, the legs under the bed were crooked, the box spring was visible and stained, there were sticky smudges all over the headboard. The breakfast was just pastries, cereal, muffins, not a lot to offer but the food was decent. The pool is outside, and was very cool even though the weather was in the 80s..it also had a lot of garbage floating around in it.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Show Low, Arizona
Reviewed 12 August 2010

My boyfriend stayed here for a week while he was working and it was the worst hotel experience he has ever had. First of all a week before he arrived the place was busted for having a meth lab running out of one of the rooms. You can get the full story from the two prostitutes living there if you would like. The pool was disgusting and had dirt on the bottom. One of the room that his work partner was assigned to found envelopes of crack just under the bed because the maids were too lazy to notice while cleaning. The sheets were soiled and the rooms all had a bad odor. There are no mivrowaves or refrigerators in the rooms. The continental breakfast consisted of generic stale cereal, sour milk and coffee that was left sitting too long. Don't waste your money here, pay more to go down the street. This in no place for normal adults let alone children. This hotel should be stripped of it's chain name and should not be an econolodge!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank mommy2lexi
Benzie County, Michigan
Reviewed 21 May 2010

We stayed at the Econo Lodge when we were in town for our son's graduation from Western and were quite surprised. I didn't want to spend a lot of money because we would basically only be there to sleep as we had graduation festivities planned. The young man I spoke to when I made the reservations was very helpful and polite, and so was the woman behind the desk when we checked in. The room was clean and the bed was comfy. There weren't a lot of people staying there the week-end we were there, so it was very quiet.
We missed the breakfast (go early, it ends at 9), but we had other plans for breakfast anyway. For $50.00, I'd say it was well worth it.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
Temperance, Michigan
Reviewed 5 April 2010

This motel was perfect for our one night stay in Kalamazoo. We went to see the hockey game and couldn't have picked a better location. The motel is right in front of the arena. We walked to the game. We even went back to the motel between periods to grab a jacket. After the game, we went to the bowling alley next door for a drink. It was also a night club that was alot of fun.
Our room was clean and the check in was quick and easy. Nothing fancy, just a decent size comfortable and clean room. (Not a suite type room, but big enough for an extra lazy chair.)
I would definately stay again to catch another hockey game in Kalamazoo!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 17 August 2009

We booked a last minute stay at this Econo Lodge through Priceline, after learning that the friends we were going to stay with had cats, and I am deathly allergic. We paid our price and thought we were good to go. I specifically requested a non-smoking room.

We had plans that evening and called to let the hotel know we would be checking in late, to which we were told that was absolutely no problem.

When we got to the hotel, however, it was a disaster. There were signs all over saying the hotel was full. The front desk clerk couldn't have been nicer, but let me know that whomever took our call letting them know we'd be running late never relayed that to her. All she had left was one smoking room that she had to go off to clean before she'd let us stay there. (!!!) In exchange, the check-in lady told us she'd refund a portion of the price we paid.

When we got to the room, it reeked of cigarettes. The curtains were half torn down. The comforter on the bed looked like it belonged in 1965. The bathroom was filthy, with dead bugs everywhere.

We stripped the comforter off the bed and settled down for a few hours of very light sleep, thanks to all the noise and commotion in the hallway.

The next morning we went to check out and were told that they thought we had already checked out, and that they had someone else registered to our room. Whatever.

It wasn't long until I realized, however, that not only did Priceline charge me for the hotel - the EconoLodge did as well! Every time I try to call to talk to a manager, I'm told she's not working and they cannot give me her schedule. (I was not asking for her schedule - just for a time when I would be able to reach her on the phone.)

This place is absolutely disgusting, and everyone I've talked to (aside from the night lady that checked us in) is rude. And, to top it all off, I was double charged for one of the worst hotel stays of my life.

DO NOT STAY HERE.