“OK for the money......” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #26 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Toronto, Canada
“OK for the money......”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2011

The room was OK but could've used a really good vaccuming as there were cheerios and chip bits left from the previous guests. The bathroom reeked of bleach but the sink and toilet were clean. Breakfast consisted of juice, coffee, tea, cold and hot cereal, muffins, danishes and toast. It was OK to get me back on the road but not very nutritious. The area where the hotel is located is shady and I was more than a little concerned about leaving the van overnight but everything was fine in the morning. This is an inexpensive place to stay for the night but I would stay elsewhere for an extended visit to the area.

Room Tip: Try to avoid getting a room that faces the pool as it was very noisy till the pool closed.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank ivanavyn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Concord Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2011

I traveled with 2 young children to visit a grandchild in the Kalmazoo area. I had researched this hotel and thought I was staying in a smoke free hotel with an outdoor pool that the 3 children could enjoy. The Hotel staff smoked constantly around the pool and the exit doors. The signs around the pool stated "No Pets at pool side". But there was a dog that was allowed around the pool. One evening there were 4 to 5 pople drinking alcohol in glass containers and an adolescent throwing wet towels at people in the pool. There was a room facing the pool with the window open and a toddler climbing in and out of window and on to chairs. This young child was also left unattended at times around the pool. Our toilet overflowed and was not fixed when I requested at the front desk. Several hours later I asked the desk clerk to please come with a plunger to fix the toilet, which he did. I was aware that the costs of the room was less than what I usually paid when I make this trip. But as a consumer, I should be able to trust that the area is non smoking and feel safe in the environment. Otherwise the room was fairly clean, although defintely in need of repair..i.e. molding along the floor was sticking out.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank lilest
Milwaukee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2011

I had two rooms booked for college graduation. One room was fine, old but relatively clean however the other reeked of cigarette smoke despite Michigan being a Non Smoking state. The carpet was torn and really gross. I suspect the smell was deeply embedded in the dreadul carpet and curtains. We were unable to open the window. When I asked for a room change, the request could not be accomodated as the hotel was booked out. I was offered a refund or room spray. Due to the town being booked out for college graduation, I had to keep the booking which resulted in a miserable night for 2 of my family members. DO NOT book here unless you can be assured that the room does not stink of cigarette smoke. In fact DO NOT travel to Kalamazoo unless you have too as all hotels put their prices up when there is anything going on at the college. Western Michigan is a great college but the hotels (I have stayed in many over 4 years) are ALL rip offs.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Kalamazoo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2011

I booked this room for my husband and myself to get away from kids for the night. It was Okay for the price. No new updates to anything. Parking was less than average, they had lets just say 100 rooms and parking for 50 rooms. There were cars parked all in the streets, in front of other cars, just everywhere. We were afraid to leave to get something to eat.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Eagle River, Alaska
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2011

When we arrived the lobby was very clean and we hoped the hotel room would be the same. We asked for an upgrade room and was given one without any additional cost since I believe they only had a small amount of rooms being used. The room did have a bit of an odor, but was mostly clean. We did not spend much time in the room, except to sleep. Staff was friendly and gave us directions. This hotel is definitely a budget hotel and should only be a 1 star if that.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends