“Decent Steak. Overpriced Experience.”

Henderson Castle Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Henderson Castle Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #274 of 367 Restaurants in Kalamazoo
Price range: USD 50 - USD 120
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Welcome to The Henderson Castle, the most popular inn in Kalamazoo. Whether you're local or coming from Grand Rapids, Detroit, Lansing, South Bend or Chicago, you'll find us to be the best destination for your anniversary, birthday, wedding, graduation or romantic getaway. Situated in the historic West Main Hill neighborhood, you're minutes away from the theatres, shopping and vibrant night life of downtown Kalamazoo, but secluded enough to enjoy a quiet night free from the noise of the city. When you're with us, you'll have a royal experience. Wake up to an incredible breakfast prepared by our experienced Chef. Stay for dinner at our H Prime Chophouse restaurant and indulge in fine food from southwest Michigan. Our Spirits Lounge Bar serves signature Henderson Castle drinks! If you'd like to make dinner reservations or just have a question, don't hesitate to contact us. The Henderson Castle is here for every type of guest.
Reviewed 8 February 2018

I wanted to do something special for my Valentine's Day this year, so we stayed in the hotel as well as had dinner here.

I had checked their menu online to make sure there would be stuff my gf would like, as she is fairly eater. They had a decent selection of both steak and seafood, so I knew I would be ok. The prices were on the higher end. Despite being a travel blogger who has eaten at many places all over the country, including many food tours, this is the most expensive. Which says something considering it's location, and that we only ordered a couple of filet's.

Our filet came with a wedge salad, and a tomato basil based soup + bread. They were both good and better than expected. The steak was delicious as well and cooked to perfection (medium). It was served with mashed potatoes, green beans and carrots. We also ordered the creme brulee, which is my gf's favorite.

The meal was good, but for the price paid we have gotten better in both quality and service. The service was slow, especially considering there were two servers. We had to repeatedly ask for refills to our drinks, despite there was literally one other couple at the time. For this price tag, I should see the best service in the county! Needless to say, it is far from it.

The waiter was pleasant, helpful and answered any questions however. It took a long time to get our food, but since we were staying here, we were not in a rush as if we had come for dinner alone. They had classic music playing while you dined.

All of this being said, for the expectations the price tag would suggest, they fall far from that. The quality of the food is a good start point, but not at $108.00 for two filets considering the slow service. Hopefully this place continues to improve on that over time, as there is some potential here with the views and experience.

However, I cannot say that I would be back any time soon nor give it a glowing recommendation. There is same or better quality around time for a fraction of the cost. I would say that if you are going in for a decent steak and willing to pay that higher price with slow service where you can sit and chat for a long time on a special occasion to enjoy the views and experience, this might be your place.

2  Thank runaway2travel

Reviewed 23 January 2018 via mobile

My husband and a friend of ours have birthdays two days apart, so we often do something special together to celebrate. This year the four of us and another couple went to Henderson Castle.

It was a fun experience, but the food wasn’t as ‘wow’ as we expected it to be, given the price point.

Many of us ordered steaks and a king crab leg. The steaks were all decent sized and ‘good’, but not as melt-in-your-mouth as some we have had for far less money. The ‘king crab legs’ were considerably smaller in diameter than we expected them to be too. I would not have ordered one ($19/ea) had I known in advance.

They had run out of mint sauce, but failed to inform the waitress, so she wasn’t able to inform us at the time we ordered. My husband and another member of our party ordered the lamb... which was a CONSIDERABLY smaller portion size than the other menu items—3 lollipop sized pieces of meat—ridiculous! (It was far from a happy b-day meal!!)

On the positive side of things, the wait staff were friendly, quick and able to answer all of our questions. The gentleman that brought our drinks was particularly helpful and offered to tell us ghost stories in the bar after dinner. It sounded like fun, but we didn’t end up staying, as half our group were eager to leave after the negative meal experience.

I doubt we will return.

Reviewed 6 November 2017

I am not going to label anything good or bad – simply going to present the facts and some opinions.

My wife wanted to do something “different” and “special” to celebrate her 25th year in business. She chose Henderson Castle. The plan was to take the office staff for facials in the afternoon then have spouses join for supper. She started making arrangements weeks ahead of time. Initially had a hard time getting return calls from the venue. It was about a week prior to the date when all plans were finally in place for the Friday evening event.

Those who had facials enjoyed the experience. They did say the hors d’oeuvre trays they had during their facials were lacking.

When I arrived – after dark - I found the brick paved parking area and walkways had no lighting to speak of. Which not only made it difficult to see where to go, but made for an uneasy walk. The stairs to the porch weren’t even lit. I could see several lamp posts – none of which were lit. Leaving after our evening was the same situation – no lights. Seems like a huge liability.

Upon entering the castle, I was informed that our reservation had been lost. So, we were offered seating in the private dining room for our group of 8. The host was pleasant enough, not too professional and dressed as if he were working at a casual dining establishment.

The table was of ample size although wasn’t completely set. We had to ask for napkins. I found it a bit odd the silverware did not match and some of us had the same size forks. Is the salad fork not supposed to be smaller? Oh, and the beautiful chandelier above the table only had half its lights working.

Our server came in to take our drink orders – everyone simply chose water. We were also given some warm bread. We then placed our soup & salad orders. Four of us got our orders, the other four waited…and waited. I eventually enjoyed my wedge salad and cream of vegetable soup – which was supposed to have been lobster bisque.

Some time passed and we placed our entrée orders. Some had steaks while others had pork, chicken and walleye. When the steaks came two appeared under cooked and one went back for further cooking. Presentation and taste of the entrees was good – just not as good as I was expecting.

A few of us chose desserts. Those seemed to go over well.

We paid our bill and were simply enjoying some after dinner conversation and winding down. Our server came to the table again and said something to the affect that they were closing and we should go.

Not sure who now owns Henderson Castle but they need to pay more attention to detail and hire servers that are more attentive and professional. My expectations of Henderson Castle were totally shot. We will not be returning nor will we be recommending anyone visit the venue.

1  Thank Greg D
Reviewed 26 September 2017

This is a historical building and that is about all the good I can say about it. I went for a high tea special and found the service to be extremely slow and unresponsive, the food was unappetizing, the prices are rather high and the dining room was a mess from a previous party. There are accommodations for large parties and over night stays which we haven't used but I do not recommend it.

1  Thank Anatta2212
Reviewed 3 September 2017 via mobile

We loved staying at the Castle! It is a wonderful B&B! We walked the grounds and the hot tub on the roof is a nice touch! The view up there is amazing! I would definitely recommend this place to anyone that was going to visit Kalamazoo! The staff was very helpful also!