“Ethiopian Food”

Ranked #118 of 1,021 Restaurants in Grand Rapids
Price range: USD 10 - USD 15
Cuisines: Ethiopian
Reviewed 25 July 2015

Go for the food. Its in a very unassuming neighborhood, the place is small and the menu limited. Nevertheless, the food is very enjoyable. Good interesting vegetarian food.
Carry cash to pay and carry coins for paid street parking if visiting during the day.

2  Thank ptrav9

Reviewed 21 December 2014 via mobile

Don't be deceived by the outside appearance of this restaurant. It may be a "hole-in-the-wall", but they've got some serious magic happening in their kitchen. We had the group sampler platter for 3 and everything on it was delicious.

Reviewed 13 October 2014

I've been visiting Little Africa for years. No frills. Just good eats. The Soy Curry is my favorite. Great Gomen and when available, the beets are awesome. And the Ethiopian tea....oh my goodness!!! Liquid gold!!!!

I can never quite figure out how my bill is calculated, as I seem to regularly pay a different price for the same meal. (-: But, I don't mind. I love Little Africa!

Reviewed 3 October 2014

Not the fanciest meal you'll ever have, but once they bring out the food, it'll be one of the best meals you'll remember!
Get the tea as it's wonderful! I'd also recommend the variety platter, most of it's veggie, but they do have meat options. Pull off a piece of bread and go crazy with sampling the different "stews" on the bread. Don't overthink it, just dive in and you will be pleasantly surprised!

This place has less of a formal feel and more like you're eating in a room next to the kitchen. Be sure to communicate with the staff as it's less of a formal dining arrangement.

1  Thank ElTheTone
Reviewed 2 October 2014

This is a small storefront restaurant. We started with the tomato soup because we told Lou, the owner, that we liked spicy food, and it was really hot! Then we had the combination platter. It was a very large platter which was covered with the injera, a large floppy pancake. On top of it were arranged the various foods. There was additional injera which is used to scoop up the fillings (no forks). When the injera pieces were used up, we tore off pieces of the injera base. The fillings were all delicious with some seasonings which were familiar such as curry and sesame oil. The food is vegetarian and very filling. The service was good. This restaurant is very good value. Cash only is accepted.