1,092 results
All reviews the concierge lounge eucalyptus steam room separate tub great hotel river view upscale hotel room service high floor self park art prize valet parking business trip devos place corner room convention center front desk staff downtown gr
Reviewed 25 November 2016

I've stayed at this property 5 times this year and have had a fantastic experience every single time. The hotel is beautiful, the service is top notch and the location is great. Great for business travel. I would highly recommend the JW to anyone.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms in this hotel,
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 November 2016

Staying at this Marriott had some problems. My husband's & my room was very nice with a view of the river on the 13th floor. The staff at the front desk were terrific too. Our issues were with the reservation process and with the people who cleaned the room. I did write a letter and mailed it to the manager at the JW Marriott, Grand Rapids. I never got a response.

My husband was there for a conference so we had to call to make the reservation. It could not be made online So far the reservation process went well. The problems arose when we had to change our check-in date to a later date. (I did keep a record of whom I spoke to & on what dates and had included this information in my letter to the manager.) I called to give the new dates & was told the change was made. However, days later we got an email with the original dates reminding us of the reservation. So I phoned the hotel & was told the change had not been made. This new staff member supposedly made the change. Being a bit skeptical now, I called a few days before our arrival. Again I was told the change had not been put into the system. This staff member took all of the new information and she did get the correct dates added to our reservation. She even sent us an email confirming that. (The other staff said they could not send emails with the new dates.) Making a reservation this way was very worrisome & took a lot of my time. No one wants to have to go through this to make a reservation.

As to housekeeping's cleaning the room, they moved our toiletries in the bathroom, threw a few things away, and reorganized some of our other items in our room. It was not just 1 or 2 items. My husband & I found ourselves playing hide & seek to find what was moved. Items were placed on different shelves & others put way on the other side of the room - And we keep our things neat. We had organized our room so we could get ready quickly & save time. Instead it was frustrating. I thought we would be treated as a guest in the hotel. We didn't feel like valued guests. Also it was disappointing to not hear back from the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled on business
Tracy356, Manager at JW Marriott Grand Rapids, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2016

Dear Virginia2002-

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We sincerely apologize for the issues you experienced. It's unusual you weren't able to book online or that the changes were not able to be completed after your first call, as this is certainly not a typical experience with our hotel. It is definitely something we would like to look into. I am forwarding your message to the manager to be able to look for your letter and respond. We appreciate your efforts to let us know what occurred and again, we apologize for the time it took to get the reservation corrected. Thank you for your patronage and continued communication. We hope you will stay with us again in the future so we can show you the flawless experience you deserve.

At your service,
Tracy

Reviewed 22 November 2016 via mobile

For Grand Rapids this is an expensive hotel. Possibly the most expensive on the west side of the state! While I enjoyed staying there, I was struck with all the excessive charges. For example, to park overnight is $24.99, if you valet, $29.99. The parking structure is 50 feet away. And a tip is expected. To compare, if you only have a meal, you get free parking with a restaurant stamp. So fewer people park overnight, but it's much more expensive.
The restaurant is, or is nearly the most expensive in town as well. Separate review elsewhere.
I've never stayed in a JW brand hotel. Supposed to be top of the line. Seemed like a typical Marriott. Same furniture, same bedding, nothing to recommend the lobby.
Disappointed. There are other hotels nearby, equally as nice for considerably less money.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
Tracy356, Manager at JW Marriott Grand Rapids, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2016

Dear Welshman42256-

Thank you for your recent stay with us! We're happy you chose your first stay at a JW to be with us, yet sorry to hear you were not pleased with the price. Our hotel is located right on the river in the heart of downtown with incredible views, within walking distance to the major event venues, eateries and nightlife, many connected via the downtown skywalk. We've recently just completed a renovation of all of our rooms with new furnishings, and the furniture in our lobby and common areas is unique to our hotel in that it is all from Steelcase, headquartered here in Grand Rapids. While we apologize you did not find these things valuable to your stay, we're happy you were able to join us and hope you will consider doing so again some day.

At your service,
Tracy

Reviewed 21 November 2016

We stayed on the 13th floor with a view of the river. The windows are curved and provide a fantastic view of the river and Grand Rapids. The room was large and had a coffee station, mini fridge, and safe. The bathroom appeared newly renovated with a large shower and separate tub. The staff at check in were very friendly and efficient. We did not dine in the hotel, but enjoyed a jazz band playing in the lobby bar.
The hotel is connected to the Amway and Devos Center by indoor walkways.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 November 2016

My kid ,Michelle and I we stay in JW GR for few times , and I have employee rate to stay there ,but let me tell you people who work there treat us like Royalty !!From first step in to hotel till departure they make me feel like I am at part of family ,part of the circle of old friends ,part of the gang !!!! Always help me out and up grate me to top floor , talk to us like they know us forever ,just tons of humanity ,fun, professionalism and kindness !!! I know I got cheap rate , I know I am just on employee deal , that was no deference , we got treated like King and Princess , I LOVE this place !!!! Plus hotel it is top quality , everything it is PERFECT !!!! So again we saluting you guys , and I tell you one think , every time we stay there you guys bringing the smile on my daughter face and making her happy , that's its some thin I will never forget !!!! Again thank you so much and I will see you soon !!!!!! Metal Chef Madd Maxx!!!!!!

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple