“Great place, trendy, comfortable, great food and drink”
Review of Donkey Taqueria

Donkey Taqueria
Ranked #15 of 1,018 Restaurants in Grand Rapids
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Description: A former 1920's neighborhood service station finds new life as a full service bar serving truly authentic Mexican food.
Reviewed 3 October 2016

Donkey was wonderful. Clean and great service. Tacos are ordered individually so it allows you to have a variety of unique tacos. Crawfish, pork shoulder and beef were great. Churros were a great dessert to share and cocktails were good too. I would go back in a heart beat.

Be aware, there is typically a wait so put your name in and then hit up Elk Brewing company across the street for a beer.

Reviewed 25 September 2016

I was hungry when I arrived. I was full when I left. The food was not noteworthy in a positive way. The queso dip tasted too much like cheese wiz to eat.

I would not recommend nor will I go back.

Reviewed 19 September 2016 via mobile

The atmosphere is good there is a lot of hipsters there. The food is great I had the crawfish and carnitas tacos they were amazing my wife had the flautas and she loved it. The churros for desert were great. Service was good had a great visit.

Reviewed 19 September 2016

This was our first time to Donkey, the restaurant is a small space - we ate inside but they offer outdoor seating which doubles their space. There was plenty of seating available when we went (Saturday at 6pm) however I hear that it gets pretty busy - we did not experience that. Our waiter was not as attentive as we had hoped and it took awhile for our drinks to come.

They have a vast assortment of tequila available - their margaritas are good but pricey for what you get ($9 for a small juice glass equivalent).

While I know they don't have specifically vegan dishes here I chose the quesadilla vegetales minus the queso chihuahua and crema - I can't say I was disappointed but I wasn't wowed either. My husband had the flauta de pollo he said it was okay but not much chicken. Our dining companions had tacos - he tried the taco al pastor and she tried the taco de hongos which was spicy and she really liked the taco de pescado. The taco come as one and served family style and are about $4 a piece.

While we can check Donkey off our "to-do" list we likely won't return. Nothing against the restaurant but it wasn't for us.

1  Thank sunquest4me
Reviewed 13 September 2016

The food here is wonderful and the atmosphere is great. The food can tend to be more expensive...at least for the portion sizes. We typically end up splitting chips and salsa and 4 of their tacos that are more like small plate servings.

Date of visit: June 2016