“Significant yum!”

Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Had the Irish Benedict. It was very delicious! Server helped me out with a beverage as they didn’t have sweet tea. Have not been in a restaurant waiting room in forever, but it was only 6 min. I tried valiantly to eat the whole meal but it was very large so I could not finish. Many people I saw were leaving with cartons of food. Will go every time I am in Grand Rapids no question

Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

Okay ... we all have longing to experience the best meal of our lives, right? So, when it comes to breakfast, this is what you need to do: 1) Take yourself to Real Food Cafe on Eastern Ave. 2) Order a Coffee and Water and sit back and RELAX. 3) Next, you are going to order it not one thing one and a half things ... do this or you will be disappointed in what might have been.
ORDER: Corned Beef Hash with Two Eggs on Top AND ALSO a Side of Pancakes (one cake).
REASON: this place has the best corn beef on the planet. I am not joking. I would gladly bet my life or firstborn child on this.
Also ... whatever they do to make your pancake is pretty damn amazing because they are the best pancakes I ever ate.
The rest of their food is also delicious, but if you’re reading this you are reading it for a reason… You want to experience the very best. Right? If so, order the corn to beef hash or go to home. Peace out.

Reviewed 26 February 2018

What is there to say that hasn't already been said by the hundreds of reviews before this one? Located in the blooming Alger Heights business district, about 10 minutes east of downtown Grand Rapids, the Real Food Cafe lived up to our already high expectations.

Unless you happen to time it just right, the wait can be long (30-45 minutes) because it's a VERY popular place. Grab a complimentary cup of coffee while in the waiting area, a nice touch to alleviate any frustration with a long wait. Parking can also be tight, but there are plenty of side roads to choose from nearby. The ambiance is cozy, loud, busy and smells great! The wait staff is always on the move, but very friendly. In spite of being slammed, our waitress took time to talk with us, making us feel very welcome.

OK, to the food. Holy cow! From their famous cinnamon rolls the size of a cinder block (kidding, not kidding), to the many delicious options to choose from, the choice can be overwhelming. I suggest taking a look at the tables around you for inspiration, but once I saw the Bananas Foster French Toast, that was it (see photo). Unbelievably delicious!!

The only thing that caught us off guard was being unaware this is a cash only establishment. There is an in-house ATM located in the back of the restaurant for convenience, which only added a few minutes to our check out process.

Can't wait to go back!

Reviewed 18 January 2018

The food was fabulous with generous portions. The staff was friendly and welcomed us as "first-timers". Everyone was hustling and the wait time was very reasonable. There were frequent returns by the waitress to make sure we had everything we needed and to refill our coffees. Since the restaurant was full, we ended up near the door so occasionally we felt some cold air breeze in but it was tolerable even tho' the outside temps were in the teens.

Reviewed 5 November 2017

Great breakfast with my family! Food was served promptly and hot! Service was awesome, always there to refill my coffee and checking if anything else was needed! Love this place.....get there early because there is usually a wait for their REAL food.