“Decent Ethiopian restaurant in Grand Rapids”

Gojo Ethiopian Cuisine and Deli
Ranked #322 of 996 Restaurants in Grand Rapids
Cuisines: Ethiopian
Dining options: Buffet, Takeout
Dining options: Buffet, Takeout
Reviewed 8 March 2017

I went here for dinner in March, 2017. There were only 2 other people in the restaurant at another table - sparse for a Thursday night. Service was slow - the menu is very limited with just 2 pages of offerings without any appetizers or desserts. I waited about 20 minutes for my food to arrive and when it did, it was lukewarm. I had ordered the "Doro Wat" - chicken dish with some vegetables and injira bread. The doro wat was not very spicy and was boneless (traditionally it is served with the bone and with a hard boiled egg) and no egg came with it. (The owner later explained that I could have asked for an egg). The vegetables were okay but nothing to write home about - what is needed is a spiced up version of what they serve. The food was served on a platter and you had to use your hands - traditionally Ethiopian.
This Ethiopian restaurant is the best one in Grand Rapids - but they have a way to go with their service levels and the offerings on the menu - all in all a decent place to get an ethnic meal.

1  Thank yrechnam

Reviewed 26 January 2017

Went here with a friend as i love Ethiopian food and was used to having easy access, living on the other side of the state and the East Coast. The owners here were fabulous in the hospitality department but somehow the seasoning of the food missed the mark. Definitely a family style restaurant -if you've raised your kids with that level of sophistication- and very healthy food. A little more ambiance and keeping an eye on the heat level of the food wouldn't hurt.

Reviewed 3 January 2017

My wife and I tried this restaurant for the first time last week. We had the family platter, which provides a nice introduction to both Ethiopian cuisine and to this restaurant's menu options. Our service was excellent. This restaurant certainly is worth a visit.

Reviewed 13 September 2016 via mobile

Son and I had a great lunch here..really tasted great and the presentation was colorful and well done. Owners were super friendly!

1  Thank pmparkside
Reviewed 12 April 2016 via mobile

When I said I had a Groupon for 20.00 I was told there is a different menu for Groupon. (Same menu but double the price) the guy said he couldn't take such a loss on the normal menu????? Why are you even on groupon? NOT Happy I Liked THE Orginal Owner THE PORTIONS We're Much larger....... Will NOT Be RETURNING