“Pleasantly Surprised”

MGM Grand Detroit
Ranked #10 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 13 April 2012

This was my second time at the MGM Grand. I stayed one night a couple of years ago on a personal trip so when I heard we were staying there for a business trip I was really looking forward to it. The rooms are very nice and clean. The bathroom was big with an enclosed toilet, large walk-in shower and a TV in the mirror. The bed was very comfortable.

The hotel itself is very nice and upscale. I have to admit I wasn't expecting this in Detroit. I can't remember the name of the restaurant where we ate but it is in the hotel and the food was very good. My only complaint is that it is right next to the casino which allows smoking. Coming from a city where smoking is banned in public places it caught me off guard since I'm not use to it. I hate the smell of smoke so it did add a little discomfort to our dinner. If you are a nonsmoker like me and you are just looking for a place to stay and don't care so much about the casino then the MGM Grand is a great choice. If you are a nonsmoker but looking to enjoy the casino this is not the place for you.

Overall I enjoyed my stay. It's a good value and I'd stay there again....I'd just avoid the casino :)

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 12 April 2012

This is quite simply as good as it gets in the bleakness we call Detroit. The rooms are gorgeous, clean, and modern. All the restaurants are fantastic. I can suggest tipping the bar staff well on your first round, they will remember you and take care of you. The service is friendly and efficient. It's not a cheap night out, but if you want to get away from the questionable characters at Greektown or Motorcity, I highly suggest the MGM

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 April 2012

I am wondering if the people that gave MGM Grand Detroit a good review, if they are smokers, because honestly it was awful. For me it is hard to see the positives of the place when we both felt so sick from the smoke while we were there. If you are a smoker it would most likely be great to you but for us non smokers it was terrible. We will never go back to MGM Grand Detroit again.

Even if it was smoke free, I am still not sure we would return, it isn't as glamorous and ritzy as Ceasars Windsor. The restaurants are also way over priced. A hamburger is 16ish dollars, to me that is crazy. We aren't in Vegas, we are in Detroit, MI. I didnt see any live entertainment while we were there either, which was a disappointment as well.

Stayed: April 2012
5  Thank SereneMoments
Reviewed 8 April 2012

I visit often, as I find them the most classy of 3 Detroit casinos. A bit better crowd too.... Food is amazing whether you hit the buffet or the upscale restaurants.
I hope someday competition increases and *wink*, they start offering free drinks to gamblers like Vegas and Atlantic city, but thats not that important.
Great club too, if you want to dance away.... DJ is pretty good.
I will visit and refer to everyone until they keep up the good work.....

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 April 2012

We were very happy with the hotel and casino! It had everything we really wanted. Getting there was easy since MGM pretty much has it's own off ramp on the expressway. The Hotel coutesy valet is wonderful! Top notch! Check in was a breeze and our room was wonderful! The shower was great - big with two shower heads...the decor was very nice! Did not use the spa, but checked it out...very nice. Do not expect to spend time with your boyfriend or husband at the spa...men and women really have seperate quarters, except for the pool...but the atmosphere is serene and nice. The casino was nice and we lost playing craps...it was our first time, the dealers didn't help us much, but we figured it out. We ate at the Bourbon Steak...and the meal was wonderful! It was not inexpensive, so be ready to pay, but it was nice! Drinks are not cheap either...so again, be ready to spend money, but the quality was top notch. It was a slow long meal, which is fine with us, we do not like speedy dinners, especially in fine restaurants. However a table near us expected a quick dinner and missed a show they were going to. (Although, again, this isn't fast food - so what did they expect?) I told them that it was my husbands birthday when I made the reservation and on check in, the hostess wished him a happy birthday and when we ordered dessert, they wrote happy birthday on the plate in chocolate and had a lit candle. They also had a birthday card waiting for him at the table. Not a big deal, but it was perfect!

The casino floor was large, spacious and entertaining. Lots of games, tons of slots but what I HATE is the smoking and how some of the clientele are such PIGS. I felt bad for the workers, because they kept everything so nice and some people have no manners. The smoke bugged me, and I really noticed it since all other venues we go to in Michigan are now smoke free...they did have smoke free slots, which was nice. Free pop and water and coffee is served, which is nice. After some gambling, we sat in one of the bars an listened to a band...very nice! The night club on the second floor looked like it was hte place to be and everyone going up there looked amazing. If you are going to the night club, dress to the nines!! We didn't go up because there was a cover and we just wanted to look, not go to the club...it looked like everyone was going to have an amazing time.

In the morning we went to the brunch/buffet in the casino, which was nice. Again, some of the clientele were interesting, but that is part of the fun of a casino. The breakfast buffet turned from breakfast to brunch at 10 am. We made it in by 9:45, so paid only 18.00 dollars, I believe it turns to $28.00 for brunch, but then got to enjoy some of the brunch food when it was put out...crazy amounts of food!! Very good quality!

On Sunday they allowed us a late checkout upon request (normally 11:00 am, but they gave us until 1:00 pm) because we were going to the Red Wings game. We actually left the car with valet and walked down to the people mover on Michigan Avenue (which we felt completely safe doing) and took the people mover to Greektown and then to Joe Louis Arena. On the way back we walked because the people mover was crowded! (Overtime with a shootout - NOBODY left that game early - LOL)

This was my first time at MGM grand and I have spent limited amounts of time at casinos, but I have to say it was very nice, met all my expectations and we had a really great time. The food was great. The drinks were great and the gambling was fine...entertainment was very good as well. We didn't win :( but had fun!!!

Room Tip: We stayed on the 16th floor and loved the room...