Open today: 12:00 am - 2:00 pm, 4:00 pm - 2:00 am
Review Highlights
In laws anniversary

This is a nice jazz spot. They have a live band who was really good. And their food was great. I... read more

Reviewed 3 January 2019
karitac2016
Eastpointe, Michigan
via mobile
Jazz, blues... good music!!!!

Good food, good songs..., amazing place... A different spot, just to very special people..., who... read more

Reviewed 1 December 2018
almendes76
Curitiba, PR
via mobile

Recommended experiences in and around Detroit
from USD 29.00
from USD 75.00
from USD 80.00
More Info
All reviews soul food mac cheese collard greens fried catfish turkey chops visit detroit friday night jazz venue downtown
Reviewed 15 March 2017 via mobile

Known as the oldest jazz club in the world. Amazing little joint. Intimate space with live jazz and fantastic food. The staff are super friendly and make you feel like a VIP. Love, love, love their food, which keeps me coming back.

Date of experience: February 2017
3  Thank Rosita M
Reviewed 4 March 2017

There was a nice jazz trio playing on the evening of my visit to Baker's. However, the service was absolutely horrible my food took over an hour and when I received my food, it was not what I had ordered. The Waitress never put my order in and accidentally served me someone else's food. Management came to our table and offered complimentary drinks however, I am not a drinker and neither are my parents. The manager said "Well that's the best I can do for you, accidents happen so I cant give you free food." The thought of "free food" never crossed my mind, and from the looks of the place they can use every dime they can get, for a lack of better words, the place looks old, outdated, and run down into the ground. In the end, instead of dignifying the managers insult with a response, we left immediately. We went to Cliff Bells to enjoy more live jazz and a wonderful dinner in a real first class jazz resturante.

Date of experience: November 2016
2  Thank Abigail W
Reviewed 14 February 2017

This is Detroit music history right here - so many greats have played at Baker's! The soul food is good, the service is fine, the parking is secure - don't let the area deter you - I've been lots & it's fine. But do go for the live music - it's awesome! We always go early & get a nice little booth on the side. Right on the corner of Livernois & 8 Mile - south east corner, easy to find! Use the parking lot

Date of experience: January 2017
2  Thank dalrutz
Reviewed 31 January 2017 via mobile

The location was a little scary with all the torn down buildings and tall fenced lots around. It is not very easy to find the place or a parking spot and don't have very high expectations of the place. Slow service, food is very average and drinks not very good but music is good. So eat, drink and go for a couple of hours to listen to the music and have a safe beer and leave.

Date of experience: January 2017
Reviewed 30 December 2016 via mobile

The music was wonderful! The food was good, although we waited an hour for it. The waitress said that is typical wait time on the weekend. The drinks however must have been made from the cheapest liquor on the face of the earth. My guests and I came to the conclusion that it must have been homemade moonshine. We had one drink each and we all woke up with a headache that lasted over 24 hours. I was so dizzy after the one drink I felt like I had been drugged. Either ask for top shelf or drink before you come. A guy leaving who was not in our party fell out on the floor and had to be pulled up by several men he was so out of it after drinking there. So again, the music was incredible and you feel like you are back in time so really cool in that aspect just don't expect to get your food quickly on the weekend and steer clear of alcohol unless it is the bottled beer.

Date of experience: December 2016