“Still in business after all these years!”

Scotty Simpson's Fish and Chips
Ranked #77 of 1,235 Restaurants in Detroit
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed 1 June 2016

Truly the best Fish and Chips on the planet. We came here as kids with our parents and I'm thrilled to see they're still at it-and doing it well, too!

Reviewed 28 April 2016 via mobile

The Fish and Chips are the best ever! All white cod fish in a light crispy batter! Great homemade tarter sauce and homemade pies! Definitely NOT a fancy restaurant, it's VERY outdated-but the food is worth the trip!

Reviewed 21 April 2016

Next stop: 1950s. Scotty Simpson’s has been a fixture in this location since 1950 and is highly reminiscent of Mercury Fish and Chips on Schaefer that moved away many years ago and is now closed. Scotty’s stayed put, and specializes in fish and other seafood, including various combos. The majority of food is fried, but you can also order grilled fish which will should help your cholesterol level. Hamburgers, chicken, and steak are available as well. The fried fish is of good quality and the coating is thin and crispy. The fries are good too. Many of the meals also feature a dollop of cole slaw which is also a refreshing contrast, and mildly seasoned.

Dining-in is not elegant in any way, but will bring back memories of the way many little neighborhood restaurants were back in the day. Many will just get a carry-out and that is another way to enjoy the meal. You go to Scotty’s for the food, not dining ambience. I did find the experienced server was very pleasant and competent.

Although the neighborhood has seen better days, it felt safe and the convenient parking lot across the side street is available for restaurant guests or carry-out. One thing that surprised me: the prices for meals are not as inexpensive as I would have expected. The fish meals at some local chains are a bit cheaper, but you come here for the quality of the seafood so it may be worth paying a bit more.

The restaurant is closed Mondays, and opens weekends in the afternoon/evening, and for lunch/dinner Tuesday through Friday. It is most crowded on Fridays, especially during Lent and meatless Fridays. So be prepared and plan accordingly. It was pleasantly uncrowded one late afternoon on Saturday when I went.

My older brother says we ate at Scotty’s when I was a very young kid. I will not wait another 60+ years to go again, but will make it a destination when I am next in that area of Detroit. It is located just one mile south of the Redford Theater, and one mile east of Telegraph.

2  Thank garyrc
Reviewed 27 March 2016 via mobile

We had never been there before and we're pleasantly surprised. Nice staff. Very good food. Reasonably priced. And the pies were great. Just remember, cash only.

Reviewed 26 March 2016

Went there on Good Friday. It was as busy as one might expect. The wait was reasonable, and the food well the wait. Family operated for over 60 years, there were multiple generations working that night. The kitchen area looked chaotic, but everyone had their job and it was effective. Almost looked choreographed.
I had the fried cod and chips, but the menu includes perch, shrimp, and frog legs and more. My wife had the half order of fish and chips plus a really good cup of clam chowder.
There is a big selection of home made pies for dessert. We took home slices of lemon meringue and coconut cream, both excellent.