“Take us away for Take Away at Nobu”

Nobu Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 24 Restaurants in Burswood
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 12 April 2024

This is a bit different from my usual review. I was staying at the Grand Promenade Hotel and ordered my meal as a take away. It is surprising to learn when you research, how many eating establishments are still doing this since Covid.

Like many West Australians, I know Crown fairly well and also knew that trying to book a table is generally not easy due to their popularity.
Having eaten there several times but not recently, was thrilled to learn that take away being for a hotel guest was an option.

Anyone who has travelled and settled in a hotel room enjoys it very much when such good food is provided at the same place, relieving some stress (not to mention tummy rumbles).

If you have read other reviews here, I won't go into much detail re the decor but the chandalier is worth mentioning. Created by architect Micheal Fiebrich Design, the concept was of an abstract of a Japanese water garden. This is why you have the large custom made metal sculptures of reeds/water plants separating sections of the seating areas. The chandalier itself is made of bubble shaped pendants of blown glass balls. I have always admired this as the colours of copper, amber and gold remind me of flowing and flowering water. There is some bronze inlay detail that suggests a rippling effect. It is a decandent but very relaxing effect, very much how a japanese water garden feels to me.

Back to the food. I was told that take away for guests could only be by the guest and to be picked up at the restaurant by said guest. So I had to leave the hotel room, first world problems. Although prior experience as to dining there, I never have had their signature dish, Black Cod Miso. Pleased to see it on the take away menu, being a hot dish, I also selected a cold dish, Salmon Belly Yuzu Karashi Su Miso to balance out my meal. (Coming from an inland town, fresh fish is really something I look forward to in the city).

I came to the restaurant and had to wait for 10 minutes or so but was given a large brown paper bag and retired to my room in anticipation.
2 separate medium sized cardboard containers but no cutlery, as in, none.
Being in such a room, I searched but there was no cutlery either, so in frustration and hunger, did the only thing I could do, I ate it without.
I know, I know, I am ashamed of myself. Don't judge me (much).

I was prepared to accept that the presentation was not one I would have if I had dined in house, but opening the boxes to see and smell was lovely.
I ate the hot dish first. I have been told that it is alaskan fatty cod and the flavours are sweet (from the mirin and sugar), salt, (miso) and spice (ginger). I also tasted soy (from the miso) and the dark meaty flavours were an excellent combination for this protein. Excellent, as expected. I will have to try cooking it myself in the near future.
The Salmon was also excellent, both similar (being fish) but different because it was flavoured with chili and citrus. Served with deep fried onions which deliverd a welcome crunch with the fish being silky soft.
I believe the food coma kicked in then so can't say much after that.
Just go to Nobu and enjoy their food, they are certainly worth it!
(Note: After being sated, did inform the restaurant as to the lack of cutlery, they said that if required, I was to ask).

Date of visit: December 2023

Reviewed 11 March 2024

Excellent Food and service. Staff very friendly and helpful especially if you have any food allergies. Have been back lunch in Dec and going with friends again next week.

Date of visit: September 2023
Reviewed 4 February 2024

Our friends had just returned from Japan. The food at Nobu is absolutely beautiful. Such an interesting and varied menu. Yummm…

Date of visit: February 2024
Reviewed 8 October 2023 via mobile

We had lunch at Nobu to celebrate our anniversary and from our own personal experience, this was a top notch experience with both the quality of the service and cuisine leaving us an amazingly and pleasant memory.
While we were seated next on the booth with other diners just next to us, we didn’t feel our privacy was compromised. We were welcomed by Diego and Minori warmly, and our request to top up my wife’s green tea with hot water was always promptly attended to by another male waiter.
A special call out to Sushi Chef Eujyn, whose recommendation for sashimi was the highlight of our dining experience. The toro with cavier was my favourite while my wife loved the combo sashimi with radish.
We spent just under 2 hour there from noon, and booked online a month in advanced.
We truly look forward to trying their omakase and dinner next time.
Tip:
Crown Perth has plenty of free and paid parking. The good tip while dining there is to get your parking ticket validated at the restaurant so you will get complimentary parking

Date of visit: October 2023
1  Thank kenlee868
Reviewed 27 September 2023 via mobile

Superb food, surroundings and service.
Anything with Miso is surreal. The eggplant fried with miso is worth a fight with your mates over the last piece. Try the Toro sashimi, another world.
Every dish is just incredible.

Date of visit: September 2023