All reviews riverside bar cocktail bar the pub travelzoo deal hotel restaurant main restaurant the barnes wallis suite relaxed atmosphere high standard walkers bar one night stay reception area lake district spa bath borrowdale valley open fire course dinner
Reviewed 19 June 2018 via mobile

We stayed on a 2 night B & B deal with dinner on the 1st night. The staff are very friendly & our dog was made welcome too. The filet steak in the restaurant was lovely. The breakfast was good. This was our 2nd visit & we will be back again

Reviewed 17 June 2018

We liked this old hotel and had a good stay but we needed to leave early (7:30) for our long hike that day and breakfast was not served until 8:00. In fact the whole hotel was not awake and we could not pick up our lunch for the day either. This would have made this a 4 star stay.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank henriettagal
Reviewed 4 June 2018 via mobile

With more modern and newer places to stay in the Borrowdale valley this place must be riding on its reputation as our experience was pretty awful. We are really dissatisfied customers and come to the lakes a lot so know what to expect in the area.
Having walked a good 7 hours that day, we cheerily arrived at reception only to be met by a glum looking man who continued to sit and stare at his computer screen only just acknowledging us. My husband explained in approximately two sentences that we were on the coast to coast walk (as we were expecting bags to have been dropped off) and gave our name for the booking. The man (I quote) said....’I just need your name not your life history’ ....!! I’d like to say he was joking but he was entirely serious!!
From there we were told - bluntly and rudely - that our friend (whom we’d persuaded to stay at this hotel rather than cheaper options nearby) couldn’t join us for dinner in the restaurant (we’d already booked a table for two) as the restaurant was full and couldn’t handle one more person. We therefore had to eat elsewhere. When we returned to the hotel later on (about 8pm), we walked past the restaurant and about half of the tables were empty!!
We then had to change rooms as the first one we were shown was in the annex and was a good 7-10 degrees C colder than the main hotel (not good when you’ve had a damp day on the fells and it’s getting down to 8C that night). The guy on reception was incredibly rude to us in arranging this and made us feel like we were being very unreasonable. Again I quote...’well I can’t change the temperature in your room madam without upping the thermostat for the entire hotel’. We were then shown a much smaller room (but thankfully warm!) but we were still charged for the larger room upon checkout!! I’m not sure we, the customer, should be charged for what is clearly a thermostat design fault for the annex heating.
WiFi is not available anywhere else other than about 5m from the small reception area. So as you can imagine, it gets a bit crowded!! WiFi is such a basic facility these days and therefore I’d expect it to be in each room as most other hotels in the area do. Especially one of this size and price range (we paid £160 for one night B&B for the two of us).
Breakfast the next day arrived burned and dry. My scrambled eggs and smoked salmon arrived with brown on top and cooked smoked salmon as it had clearly been kept under the grill whilst other meals cooked. It was inedible. My husbands sausage and black pudding were equally burned.
I would have made a complaint at the hotel but I found out that the general manager was the guy at reception who’d been so rude to us upon arrival. As such, I’m writing this in the hope that the owners read these reviews and someone can act upon this honest feedback.

3  Thank HappyTraveller370001
Reviewed 2 June 2018 via mobile

We went via a Travelzoo voucher and it was great value for money. The hotel is in a perfect location for those wanting to walk- there are a few that start from Rosswaith so really accessible, we found a great walk from the hotel. Dinner was included in the deal and we ‘upgraded’ to have the canapés and extra appetiser and it was well worth this- the food was simply superb, all well cooked and great flavour combinations. The breakfast was also excellent with good choice- as a vegetarian I had a great selection to choose from. Rooms were clean and well kept and had everything you needed. Would thoroughly recommend and if we venture back to the lakes I’m sure we will stay here again!

1  Thank Gemma D
Reviewed 30 May 2018

We stayed a sunday night on a Secret Escapes deal which included dinner. Our room was very good overlooking the river and dinner in the evening exceeded expectations as we were offered canapés, 4 courses and petit fours with coffee. It was all very good and served by very friendly and competent staff.
The hotel is exactly how you want an old hotel in the Lake District to be- comfortable and cosy with a relaxed attitude.
Highly recommend.