Review Highlights
Great guide and they operate like a well oiled machine

Reviewed 3 September 2018
hstevens001
via mobile
Uncle Ducky Outdoors. Sunset Paddling tour Picture Rocks

Reviewed 27 August 2018
just4fun_as
Wilmington

All reviews duck pond pictured rocks hike tour sunset paddle hour trip mosquito beach dry bag waterproof bag great guide perfect weather great trip tandem kayak parking lot small craft life jackets lake superior slow pace
Reviewed 4 September 2018

NOTE: This review is specifically about Paddler's Village.

There is absolutely NOTHING glamorous about this place, except for the location (right on the lake). We stayed in a yurt for two nights and I could not get out of there fast enough. First of all, the tents and yurts are a LOT closer together than they seem on the website. We arrived late at night and finally found the place, after getting ZERO help from the answering service. They could not even provide basic directions. When we entered the yurt, the floor was covered in sand and we had to first sweep before putting our things down. The following morning I got up early to go to the bathroom and was confronted with the absolutely MOST disgusting, stomach churning situation that I have ever encountered in my life. The first set of toilets are pit toilets and it appeared that at least a dozen people had had explosive diarrhea in both of the stalls. I still gag at the thought of it. I finally found the main bathroom, which was somewhat better. However, it was NOT what I would call clean AT ALL. The stalls were dirty and the showers were disgusting. There were pieces of melted soap and globs of body wash on the floors. Some nasty person left a dirty sanitary pad unfurled in one of the trash cans in a shower stall. There were legions of bugs and gnats EVERYWHERE. For the rest of our stay, I opted to drive a mile down the road and use the bathroom at the convenience store. Some people might say that all this is to be expected when you’re camping. I disagree….when you’re staying ANYWHERE (campsite or not) for $250 per night, it is not unreasonable to expect a certain level of cleanliness and service. Speaking of the customer service, it is non-existent. I called about the toilets several times and the staff was very nonchalant about the situation. When I called the first day, I was told that they already knew about the problem with the pit toilets and that someone would be there to clean them the following day. Yes, the following day…not right away. As we were checking out the following day, I ran into the cleaning crew and they apologized profusely while admitting that they only came through once per day and that even they thought that they should have crews rotating throughout the day to keep the place decent. I called the office AGAIN as I was leaving and several times after check out and left messages for the manager to call me back. To this day, almost 2 months later, I have NOT received a call back. I have a simple recommendation for this company: they should either increase the level of service and improve the conditions OR lower the prices.

Date of experience: July 2018
1  Thank Maxceen A
Reviewed 3 September 2018 via mobile

Starting from how easy it was to book, and then correct when I booked for the wrong day, this company was easy to work with.

They have a small shop where you sign in. Then they direct you to a large parking lot where you board a bus to go to meet your guide, get your gear, and start your trip. They have lots of staff to help you at each step of the way. They break down the large groups into smaller ones of about 6 kayaks to a guide. Our guide was Jack and he was friendly and engaging with all, and shared knowledge. We had a great time on the Taste of the Rocks.

My one recommendation to this company has to do with where you catch the bus. This is where you should build a bigger store with souvenirs and snacks/food. After the tour is when people are going to want souvenirs, and they likely won’t drive back to your shop at that time. Same with snacks/food/drinks. This is when you catch people with last minute needs or post trip hunger/thirst.

Date of experience: September 2018
Reviewed 2 September 2018 via mobile

We had perfe t weather and Miles was a fantastic guide. He was experienced which gave me confidence and my husband and I were in a tandem which made the full 6 hour excursion pretty easy. This is not for everyone and in less than perfect weather and with any chop it could be a bit daunting/intimidating. We had a great time!

Reviewed 29 August 2018 via mobile

The weather was overcast and rainy, but the adventure was amazing! I’ve been on the cruise, but this tour takes you up close, under, and through. Loved going into the small caves. The kayaks are easy to navigate and the pace was easy going. The spray skirts really saved us from getting soaked.

We stopped at Mosquito Beach for lunch. The black flies were really bad but the Deep Woods Off seemed to help. The only outhouse was boarded up, so be prepared to go into the woods.

The hike afterwards was easy and the park is beautiful. I won’t give it away, but you’ll have an extra treat toward the end.

Highly recommend this tour!

Reviewed 27 August 2018

We took the sunset kayak tour. The weather and water were beautiful. We had a great time but I had 2 complaints. 1.) Our guide could not find the sunken ship and 2.) when we got out of the kayaks, there was no transportation to take us back to our cars. We waited alone in the dark being eaten by mosquitoes for 20 minutes. 13 of us were left in a dark, wooden area with NO cell service, no idea when a bus was coming and our guide left to return the kayaks. Uncle Ducky Tours knew how many people signed up for the tour, should have know what time of sunset. Why didn't they have adequate transportation waiting for us.