“Watch your money”

Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Benton Harbor
Shelby, Michigan
“Watch your money”
Reviewed 25 September 2011

The manager of the Knights Inn not only got paid cash for the room for the night but stole $142.53 off my debit card for no service at all. I had got the room through priceline.com and I would never deal with them again either - they apparently gave up my debit card information to the Knights Inn and now I am out $142.53. Would never deal with this hotel or the Wyndham Group again. That is the hotel chain that owns the Knights Inn. Remember to watch your money - they do not refund.

Room Tip: Another place
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank guchi4974

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed 19 September 2011

I had been trying to get a room at the Baymont in Stevensville, MI which is where I always stay. It is a lovely hotel. But this weekend there was a huge golf tournament, a fishing tournament and a MI Big Brothers/Big Sisters convention in town so the only place left with any room was this Knights Inn. I should have realized why.

I checked in on Thursday, 8/11 and was given room 106. I walked in and immediately noticed how broken down the beds were. I then went into the bathroom and you can see by the picture that I have attached what condition the bathtub was in. The faucet was broken off the tub and the water only came pouring out thru the broken pipe. The bottom of the tub was filthy and rusty and they had attempted to cover it up with white contact paper which was peeling off the bottom of the tub. You can also see that on the picture.

I had to leave for a family function and didn't get back until 10PM. I went right to the front desk and told them of the problem in Room 106. He gave me Room 102 and met me at 106 so he could see the problem.

I went into Room 102 and the bathroom there was OK. I then went to get some ice and you can see by the attached photo that there was black mold dripping down the back of the ice machine. There was also food garbage in the drip tray. Disgusting!!!!! I went back to my room and tried to plug in my cell phone charger and computer only to find out that no outlets in the room or bathroom worked except for the TV outlet and one lamp outlet. I then looked at the wall above the TV and noticed a 3" round brown splatter of something that had been thrown on that wall. I wadded up about 20 pieces of tissue and scraped it off the wall. I believe that it was human fecal matter.

At that point I decided that there was no way I was going to stay at that hotel even though I had no idea where I was going to spend the night. I gathered my things and went straight to the office and demanded a full refund which the clerk did give me without speaking one word to me.

On Aug. 20 I received my VISA bill and discovered that the manager of the Knights Inn re-charged me for both nights. The invoice is $103.66. I have been calling there daily and am always told that Peter, the manager/owner, will call me back that night. It has been over a week now and he has never called me back even though I call him everyday.

I will say that Wyndham Corporate did send me a check for the $103.66. They have been very helpful in assisting me with this matter.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank C V

Travellers are raving about these Benton Harbor hotels

Berkley, Michigan
Reviewed 10 September 2011

In addition to roaches, the room stunk, blanket was soiled, walls were stained. Room appeared to have been last re-painted sometime in the 1940s. Manager/owner, Peter Patel did not return any of my 20 phone calls. His day clerk told him I was calling about roaches. I RECOMMEND YOU SLEEP IN YOUR CAR, NOT HERE AT THE KNIGHT'S INN.

KAREN
Troy, MI

Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Ellen O
Berkley, Michigan
Reviewed 5 September 2011

I was horrified to discover COCKROACHES in my room at the Super 8, now the KNIGHT'S INN Benton Harbor, MI I took a dead roach to the dayclerk and housekeeper at the front desk and checked out. The housekeeer said "you just want your money back and that is NOT going to happen. They said the owner, Peter Patel, would phone me at my home. No call from Mr. Patel. I phoned approx. 15 times and Peter Patel was never available. The room stunk, the bed blanket was soiled, and the room was very shabby. Room appeared to have not been painted in decades. I stayed only one night. THE WORST HOTEL EXPERIENCE EVER!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank Ellen O
Illinois
Reviewed 31 August 2011

I attempted to place a family in this hotel the night they had a fire. The second they checked in they realized they did not want to stay there. The hotel was very dirty and in a bad area. The hotel said since it was after check in time, they would have to charge our credit card. I asked them to send/fax me a folio or receipt for the charge. We are a business and need all receipts. In my 5 years at working for our company, this is the first time a hotel would not do so. I was told daily that I need to speak with the manager Peter. He would not return my calls. I have been calling daily for over 3 weeks now. I have had to call the Knights Inn national number to try and get assistance because the manager and staff at this location are not capable of printing a receipt and faxing it.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1.5 km away
Best Western Benton Harbor - St. Joseph
2.1 km away
Springhill Suites Benton Harbor St. Joseph

Been to Rodeway Inn Benton Harbor? Share your experiences!