“Very Good, But...”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Description: 1/8 Mile south off of exit 160 next to the creek
Reviewed 20 July 2017

We stopped to get gas on our way home from MI to OH and saw a sing for Berger's. Instead of a greasy fest food restaurant, we stopped in to see what Berger's would be like. It was a nice, clean, family restaurant with what appeared to be a lot of local folks. I ordered the tuna met and my husband ordered the perch sandwich. My tuna melt was fresh and plentiful. My husbands perch sandwich was a bit to be desired. Come to find out the "3" pieces of perch, where weighed by the ounce, not really by the piece. It was almost comical watching my husbands face when he took the top off his sandwich to see where the fish was...it was pitiful. I shared half my sandwich, but I'd say the restaurant needs to rethink how they are advertising the perch and how much as this was not at all in line with a piece of fish for a meal let alone a sandwich. The waitress was nice, but didn't offer to get any more perch and just said "its by the ounce," when we asked where the fish was! If we were in the area again, we'd stop, but would not order the perch.

Reviewed 13 July 2017 via mobile

We have driven by via I75 for years. When I checked reviews I always choose to go elsewhere. Yesterday we said, "what the heck let's try it". We were very, very happy we stopped. We had a hamburger, very good, and a perch sandwich, very, very good and the deep fried cauliflower-the very best we ever had. You can count on seeing us again soon.

Reviewed 30 June 2017 via mobile

My husband and I have passed this restaurant up for 12 years and decided to finally stop. The restaurant and bathrooms were very clean. The service we got from our presumably new waitress was mediocre as she seemed more focused on her phone and conversation with the other waitress than our service. She did not know the menu, nor did she know the ingredients in the dishes.

The food. I really, really wanted to enjoy my food, and not just for obvious reasons. I was intrigued by the menu and enjoyed reading through their almost old fashioned food selection. My husband got the chicken Caesar salad wrap with fries and I got the chicken tenders with cottage cheese and warm German potato salad. We had ranch and BBQ sauce on the side. The fries were your run of the mill, unseasoned, nothing special fry. The cottage cheese was very thick and tasted like onion. The German potato salad. I was pretty excited to try this. Perhaps what I had in mind was not what German potato salad is at all. What I got was a ball of what looked like mashed potatoes with bits of "bacon bits" in it. It tasted like mashed potatoes with vinegar dumped over it. It was inedible. My husband and I both agreed the food had a very bland and unremarkable quality about it, definitely nothing special. I would not return.

Reviewed 22 June 2017

Our large family gathering brought us to Bay City for Father's Day. We were seated at a long table in the center of the dining room. Our waitress handled our group with ease and made it look easy!
The menu has multiple options and Berger's offers many daily specials. Prices were reasonable, however the food was nothing special. My husband and I ordered fish...just so-so.
Be aware - when ordering a dinner salad it arrives swimming in salad dressing! Although asking for dressing on the side it was pooled over the entire plate.

Reviewed 14 May 2017

Nice clean place with very tasty Michigan fish served different ways. The restaurant gets busy at lunch on weekends but the staff is always very friendly.