“Tall ships 2016”

Veterans Memorial Park
Ranked #13 of 41 things to do in Bay City
Reviewed 25 July 2016

We have been Veterans Park before for the Bay City fireworks. Wenonah Park is much nicer. Overall we enjoyed our day at the Tall Ship Celebration. It was not as I thought. I felt like I was at an amusement park. You have to pay just to see the ships then pay more to stand in line to get on the ships. We wanted 3 hours tour thee ship of the celebration, the Galeon. It was one of the better tours. I toured all the ships beside the Viking ship because it was another 2 hour wait. I thought the ships' sails would be displayed but they weren't. I thought you could tour ships multiple times all weekend but you can't, only once. Some of the volunteers were extremely rude but others were friendly. The lines for the ships for set up odd. The celebration was extremely busy. Wish it came for more than a weekend. It would reduce some of the crowd. We had great weather. I don't know if I would return to the celebration in future years. Afterwards I felt, been there, done it.

All reviews
"walkway"
"stroll"
"pier"

Reviewed 18 July 2016 via mobile

We walked through Veterans Park during the 2016 Tall Ships Celebration, and the park was very busy but not overcrowded. We enjoyed walking over the Lafayette Street Bridge to get to the park, and enjoyed seeing the Huey medevac helicopter on display and the views of the river. Lots of shade was needed as it was a bright warm day and a cool breeze from the river helped.

Reviewed 17 July 2016

Festival had lots of activities for everyone, especially families. Looked like they had several good food vendors, large playground for kids, chairs for sitting and accurate schedule of events. Would have helped to allow the golf cart drivers to transport a person with mobility restrictions. They said they were not allowed to transport people. A very nice lady did transport a disabled woman and my husband and who had knee replacement this summer. In 2019 the Tall Ship Festival should make some adjustments to help disabled people. Many wonderful volunteers and talented musical groups and performers. Thank you!

Reviewed 17 July 2016

Tall Ships Festival combined with Winonah park across the river -- Vets park very crowded, waits to boards each ship probably 45 min to 1 1/2 hrs per ship per people waiting in line. Which is better than on the other side. We did not attempt it due to time needed. Entertainment acts both sides of River, children's activities, craft show was terrible due to minimal vendors, many food trucks available. $10.00 DAILY fee covers both parks and there is also a $10.00 3-day ship boarding pass that covers ships on both sides for the festival. But if you return another day you have to repay the daily admission charge for the park. We will not return for this festival when they return in about 3 years.

See more reviews
Reviewed 5 July 2016 via mobile

Nice place to go and enjoy a view of the Saginaw river.

However, when there are multiple events going on at the same time, there appears to be zero coordination between those events. Recently River Roar and Weird Al concert were the same weekend but the parking and other activities overlapped without apparent realization the other event was going on.

This may be an unfair reflection of Vets Park since I do not know how much influence the park has over the events.

On nonevent days, there are many picnic areas, tennis courts, ball diamonds and scenic views. In the winter the hills are great for sledding.