Beechwood Hotel
USD 143*
Courtyard
USD 133*
ComfortInn
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewscontinental breakfastceres bistrofireplace suitemed schoolsonoma restaurantbagelswater pressurethe wait staffmedical centernice hotelwedding partycomfortable roomsbusiness meetingnew englandfront desk staffsitting areamedical school
Reviewed 16 January 2012

Jan, 2012, stayed 3 nites at Beechwood with husband. Having grown up in Worcester, this hotel is a notch above what one would expect from the standard Worcester hotel. I was there for a meeting and husband joined me. I travel extensively nationally and this hotel I believe is6unique for the area. The room (#262) was much larger than standard room at most meeting hotels (Hilton-Marriott-Sheraton). However, not all rooms are the same size, so we were fortunate to get this one. The room was appointed very nicely. Bedding and linens were top quality. The only thing that did not come up to the same standard was the TV, which, though widescreen was of a lower resolution than we have at home. However, this was not a crucial factor. Our room was situated near the workout room where I was able to use the type of recumbent bike I prefer. On the same floor was a library!

Meals: We ordered room service two nights and were very pleased with the quality of the food, the service and the reasonable rates of the meals. The continental breakfast downstairs was somewhat standard fare as found in the majors. It was also possible to order off the breakfast menu.

Meeting facilty and meeting services: As a speaker for the meeting, I found the attending staff to be top notch. They were professional, very accommodating and attentive to my needs and the needs of the meeting attendees. The meeting rooms themselves were very well appointed and maintained ... clean and attractive. The waitsssssssssre attentive, professional and prompt. The meeting luncheon itself was excellent quality.

This is the second time I've stayed at the Beechwood (this was the hotel choice of my client who organized the meeting). I am due to return in May for another meeting at this facility and I look forward to staying there (I'll request room 262 again in advance!).

For those considering a stay in Worcester, I certatainly recommend the Beechwood highly. I read some of the earlier reviews that were not as complimentary. I think it's important to put into perspective the facilities to choose from in Worcester and then make a comparison. No there isn't a Ritz Carlton, a Fairmont, or Four Seasons there. However, there are elements in the Beechwood that are somewhat similar. The Beechwood stands out at a higher level than the hotels that ARE available to the Worcester visitor. There are unique qualities in the hotel that you won't find in the major chains.

As for cost, no it's not cheap, but it's not uncommon to find such rates nationally now. However, Worcester is not Boston or other metro areas where such a rate is commonplace. So you may pay a bit more here, but as a frequent traveler comparing the other Worcester facilities to the quality of the stay, it was worth it.

Lastly, though there was a corporate meeting going on in the hotel at the time of my stay, the hotel was quiet ... for frequent business travelers, you know just how significant that can be!

Room Tip: Rooms vary in size ... some are very large and like suites with double vanity. When making a res ask for one of the large rooms that has a separate vanity/sink. Our room also had a very nice sitting area with sofa couch (rm #262)
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank suzbos
Reviewed 8 December 2011

Nice Place if Staying in Worcester

My wife and I stayed here for an evening when in Worcester for a friend’s wedding. We only stayed one night, but from our brief stay it was very nice.

ROOM
Our room was very spacious! King bed, nice sized bathroom with a tub and cathedral ceiling. Not much of a view, but the room itself was a surprise. There was a nice sized flat screen HD TV with standard cable. No rental options for movies, but we are not much of TV watchers anyway.

One inconvenience was that the ice machine was on the other side of the hotel and up 2 flights. From our location there was no direct route to get to the machine and had to walk from our wing of the hotel, through the lobby to the tower section of the hotel, up to the 3rd floor to the ice machine. Very strange and not at all convenient to anyone not staying on that floor and in that wing of the hotel.

RESTAURANT
We did not eat here other than a quick appetizer at the bar, which was very good. They have half price appetizers between 4pm – 6pm and we tried one of their small pizzas that was very tasty. The bartender was very friendly and attentive. We did run into a very crowed bar that evening after the wedding as there was a 35th high school reunion going on. It was packed and only the one bartender on staff, however somehow he pulled it off to service everyone timely and with a smile!! Very impressive considering there had to be 60 people at the bar.
We did try the free continental breakfast the next morning. I would say if eating breakfast here go with the regular paid menu. The continental breakfast was very disappointing. Stale bagels, small store bought cheapy muffins, warm milk that was not on ice for the cereals. The orange juice was like water and there is no toaster to toast your bagel (no bread either to make toast). We did hear that the regular menu breakfast however is pretty good, though we did not try it.

THE STAFF
All those we interacted with were extremely nice and friendly.

OVERALL
We found this to be a very nice surprise and a very nice stay. The hotel is right next to the hospital if looking for something close and is convenient to the other areas of the city.

Room Tip: There are (strangely enough) door bells on each room. I suggest setting this to Do Not Disturb once you get in your room. Very easy for kids to run up and down the halls ringing the rooms door bells. Very odd addition as I have never seen this in any hotel I have stayed at.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 November 2011

This hotel is a rather ugly structure, enveloped by a large parking lot. No valet. Isn't valet a requirement for a 4 star/diamond hotel?

The lobby is confusing, does not flow and seems disengaged. The decor makes no sense and once again doesn't "flow."

Service, ehh... Rooms are average. Past guests stating this is the most luxurious place they have ever stayed at.. well it must be, to them.

Lunch in the restaurant was underwhelming to say the least. An empty restaurant with a bartender (I ate at the bar) who disappeared now and then and I feel when there are three people sitting at the bar, a proper bartender should not leave.

To my surprise, I ordered a glass of red wine, malbec to be specific and was served a white - in which he thought I had stated something else. He apologized and proceeded to put the glass of white wine in the refrigerator.... Really? I sure do feel bad for the person who orders this specific wine.. whether it be 1 hour later (doubtful) or at dinner service. This is poor, not to mention for $10 a glass and upwards (in Worcester) this is very poor.

The steak frites entree was disappointing, lacked flavor and the french fries (served under) were drenched in oil and disgusting. I will convey that it was definitely not extra virgin olive oil as my stomach was soon upset.

Oysters were all right, but not noteworthy, nor did they mention where they were from.

I looked forward to checking this hotel/restaurant out, but unfortunately I won't be back!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank dba80
Reviewed 9 November 2011

Room 256... The bad:
1. Impossible to find hotel entrance road with GPS.
2. Moldy shower tile.
3. Broken makeup mirror in bathroom.
4. Disgusting stain on upholstered chair.
5. Hi-tech computer in room ("ICE") doesn't work, so can't do express check out.

The good:
1. Free parking.
2. Relatively quiet.
3. Very nice bed and bed linens.
4. Spacious room.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank PinxitGreen
Reviewed 5 November 2011

What a wonderful place to have a wedding:) Everything about this hotel was wonderful. From the time I arrived to the front desk to check in (welcoming happy people) to our guest room (very clean and updated nice rooms) to the wedding. A beautiful chapel backdrop for the ceremony, then onto the reception food and service was exceptional, did not need or want for anything the servers excellent. Every detail was well taken care of. Loved this place for a event and would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family