“Nice addition to the Canal District”
Review of El Patron

El Patron
Ranked #54 of 593 Restaurants in Worcester
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 17 April 2016

This was my second visit. I met with friends who hadn't really experienced Mexican food before. This was a lunch visit. My friends went with the tacos and enjoyed them - pollo and carnitas. Posole was on the specials menu and I went with that. Big chunks of tender pork, savory broth - it was delicious. Service is friendly and attentive. The chips and salsa that arrive at the table to start are terrific. Prices are very reasonable.

Reviewed 28 February 2016 via mobile

I read the reviews and thought it was going to be good. It was not at all- the taco de lengua was slimy like it sat for a long time. The size was normal Mexican street size. The burrito was okay, I asked for no pico but tomato and cilantro and got nothing just beans, rice and meat. Maybe it was an off night but def not authentic Mexican or even Tex-Mex.

1  Thank Maria R
Reviewed 1 February 2016

Visited this place on a Sunday evening. They were at about 50% capacity but there was room at the bar and we decided to sit there. There was a lot of activity behind the bar but it took quite some time to be acknowledged by the bar tender, a big miss from a service stand point. From there we ordered drinks and asked for menus, he again did not return to take our order until we flagged him down. As we observed the operation it seems as though this is a family run restaurant. There was a small child, maybe five years old riding a scooter from the dining room to the kitchen. We saw him in the food service area and also behind the bar. One of the cooks from the kitchen kept running (literally) across the restaurant behind the bar into a back room. Several of the staff was observed eating as they made their way around the kitchen. It seems as though no well thought out business practices are in place as it is clearly run haphazardly. If they are willing to allow this I wonder how well they adhere to food handling standards.
Even with all of this, I have to say that the food was exceptional. I had the carnitas platter and it was amazingly tasty. But with all of the above I likely will not return to this place as it was not an enjoyable experience.

Reviewed 15 December 2015 via mobile

I went to El patron last night. The food was amazing. I'm from Mexico and this food is the most authentic and fresh in Worcester. They have very good drinks and the staff is amazing. The owner is so nice and will prepare any dish the way you want. Oh yea and by the way I read a review that complained the tacos don't come with cheese. Well Mexican tacos actually don't come with cheese lol. Place is amazing!

Reviewed 30 November 2015

We were here for lunch on a Sunday. The place is tucked away on Harding Street and would be easy to miss if you're not looking for it. The interior is no-frills - don't expect fancy chairs and art; but you won't care once the food arrives! The portions are huge. We tried a smothered burrito, tacos, quesadillas, guacamole and hot salsa. Everything was great. The corn tortillas for the tacos are clearly homemade - they were thick and had texture. The service was "relaxed" which is fine for lunch on a Sunday, but if it were to get busy it could quickly become problematic. We didn't have problems ordering or getting our food quickly, but getting the check took a while.