“The best word is "grateful". Delicious food in an gentrifying spot.”

Birchtree Bread Company
Ranked #1 of 33 Bakeries in Worcester
Reviewed 6 April 2018

I am a foodie. I resent having to eat mediocre food so often when I travel. And I am truly appreciative when I see that artisanal restaurants like Birchwood continue to pop up and flourish. I am so delighted that Birchwood is on our way now when we go to our beach house, on the way visiting in laws, but heck I would even go totally out of my way to eat here!

Specifically, they have wonderful breads, sandwiches and salads. Desserts too and coffee. In a big open, fun industrial space. Everything is very good quality, delicious, and made with the extra little flourish that shows you they have skill and passion. Their grilled cheese is TDF, and the little salad on the side was delicious too. Kudos to all involved in this enterprise!

Reviewed 1 April 2018

There are things to really like about this restaurant/bakery. It is a large, bustling space with very good coffee and breads. It is quite popular, so is also fairly noisy. My soup and salad were okay, but not special. My companion loved the grilled cheese. We didn't try the pizzas but they looked good. People bus their own tables, so they are seldom very clean. And there is competition for tables, sometimes making diners feel pressured to eat up and leave. But I'd try it again - it's a change in the food desert that is Worcester.

Reviewed 13 March 2018

During our recent visit to Worcester to visit our college-age son, I googled coffee places and came up with Birchtree Bread Company. We went, and absolutely loved it. In fact, we loved it so much that we went back for lunch, and then again for another lunch with our son.

During the week, in mid-afternoon, it was pretty quiet, although that may have been due to the storm that was coming in. We sat at a window booth and enjoyed a nice conversation with the people next to us as we had great coffee and pastries.

The cappuccino is very good, as are the sweets. The mood of the place is very nice and warm. Lunch also was very good, and the bread is to die for. The toast was amazing, and perfect for a light lunch. Salad was great, as was the spicy vegetable and chickpea soup. They locally source produce, etc., which is another plus. To top it off, prices are quite reasonable.

Staff also were competent and kind. The gentleman taking orders was not only friendly and helpful, he even remembered us on our second visit. By our third visit when we took our son, we felt like regulars. :) If I lived in Worcester, this would be my go-to place. We literally left asking why we couldn't have such a nice place where we live.

The one negative is that it was very crowded on Saturday, but I think that is just it being a victim of its own success.

Very highly recommended.

Reviewed 6 March 2018

My family and I stopped for lunch after visiting the shops below the bread Company. We have been there before but my older kids hadn't. What a unique place to go, a must for anyone in the area. We typically go on Sundays as they have acoustic music and singers as a backdrop. Very large seating area that is always PACKED !!! Very family oriented to all ages and then the FOOD !! Great selection for lunch or breakfast all on homemade breads. Separate coffee bar or you can actually purchase alcoholic drinks as well. SUCH a cool place with a great vibe. Worcester has come along way the last few years bring in lots of business to old factory buildings. FOOD was awesome as everyone enjoyed there sandwich's. Check it out you will not be disappointed. Something for all ages and the shops under the restaurant is a plus to shop in !!

Reviewed 4 March 2018

The Birchtree Bread Company delivers in every way. The atmosphere is high energy. It's a big space but fills up due to popularity. Live music adds to the vibe. The artisan breads are delicious. They have a variety of sweet offerings as well--cookies and croissants. The toast offerings are fabulous, specifically the coriander bread with homemade peanut butter with banana on top and my favorite, the olive and herb with whipped feta. Variety of daily specials--so hard to decide. Can't wait to return.