“Delicious dinner and great service”
Review of Bistro 781

Bistro 781
Ranked #26 of 204 Restaurants in Waltham
Reviewed 15 May 2018 via mobile

My husband and I had a lovely dinner at Bistro 781 last night. Atmosphere was casual and friendly. The warm fig appetizer was delicious as were both of our pasta dishes, made with fresh housemade pasta and surprisingly creative combinations of flavors. Our server was charming.

Date of visit: May 2018

Reviewed 8 May 2018

Had Saturday evening dinner here with spouse while visiting, son and wife, and 2 grandchildren. It was not our 1st choice of restaurants in Waltham but we did not have a reservation – and the 3 other restaurants we wanted to attend could not accommodate us. So we ended up here. I was not impressed. The food was OK – much of it fried & salty and was also very slow in coming to our table even though the restaurant was not crowded. The wait staff was cordial enough but with 2 children’s meals and small entrees for the adults – the pre-tip bill of $155 seemed excessive. So it was a mediocre restaurant outing & thus my mediocre review. I will not return if in the area. .

Reviewed 30 April 2018

We had brunch reservations for 1:00, weren't seated until 1:40, ordered at 2:00, and finally got our food at 2:40. I know they were crowded, but there's not much excuse for that much of a delay. Noisy.

Reviewed 7 April 2018 via mobile

The Birthday Pak Team enjoyed a fantastic meal along with great entertainment at Bistro 781. The Calamari and Artichoke flatbread as starters were delicious! The Burgers were cooked perfectly as ordered, and the French Fries prepared with just the right amount of seasonimg! Ariana our server, was top notch!! The guitarist “set the tone” for a great finish to our dining experience - very talented and a definite crowd pleaser! Great vibe - can’t wait to go back!!

Reviewed 6 March 2018

Came to 781 for lunch on a recommendation. I was by myself so I just grabbed a seat at the bar. Lots of TV action, and although the bartender was slammed with the lunchtime rush (on a Saturday), she apologized for leaving me feeling "abandoned" and not being able to chat. So sweet. A friend had recommended 781, and although she raved about their caramelized onions and encouraged me to get them on anything, I went with the pesto chicken sandwich. Both the server and bartender said it was one of their favorite dishes on the menu, and it was definitely good. It was a really filling, with a well-cooked piece of chicken, good chicken-to-pesto-to-cheese ratio. And I definitely couldn't help but finish the fries before I did the sandwich.

I went back on Sunday around the same time, and decided on an abbreviated brunch instead of lunch. Coffee and the eggs benedict with ham. WOW, so good. The eggs were poached perfectly and they were on a slightly sweet/buttery English muffin. The hollandaise was really good—if I were in the privacy of my own home, I would have gotten another piece of bread to clean the plate. The home fries were seasoned really well—they were unique... I could almost recognize the standard seasoning for that side, but there was a twist I couldn't put my finger on. Sports on the TV, good music on in the background, and just a really lively vibe to the place. Lastly, despite the place being packed on both days, the bartender recognized me and welcomed me back. If I lived in Waltham, I'd make this place my Cheers.

Date of visit: March 2018