“Food Is Secondary To The Pleasure Of Being In The Midst Of History”

Longfellow's Wayside Inn
Ranked #1 of 35 Restaurants in Sudbury
Price range: USD 10 - USD 30
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Longfellow's Wayside Inn is a unique part of the historic landscape of Massachusetts, and the oldest operating American Inn. Featuring an authentic building style and traditional New England food, we offer the ideal location for romantic nights out, banquets, family events, company parties, and weddings. Our menu provides exceptional quality at great value, including hearty portions and seasonal foods. We encourage our guests to spend a day with us, touring the serene and historic grounds, enjoying a drink in our 300-year old Tavern, and settling in for dinner in one of our historic rooms. We have an open patio in the warmer months, and lit fireplaces through winter.
Reviewed 22 September 2017

We had a nice dining experience on a weeknight at 6 PM. We live out of state so called about 4 weeks ahead to get reservations. A year ago, we were unable to dine with just a couple of days notice. Our waitress, Amy, could not have been nicer and more attentive. We decided to try the three course special. My husband had the New England Beef Pot Pie. He was surprised that it had no vegetables or potatoes in it. However, he was served a baked potato and a large plate of green beans with it. I had the coconut shrimp. It was tasty, but quite crispy ( a bit over-fried). The squash was pureed and excellent in taste. For dessert, he had apple pie which was just average. I tried the corn pudding, which I was told was very rich. I was only able to handle a couple spoonsful due to its richness. It was a fun evening, especially thinking about all the history that has happened under those beamed ceilings. The servings are very hearty. I guess that's good, but for some diners, it's too much. When you are traveling, you aren't likely to want to take a container of leftovers home.

Reviewed 21 September 2017

Based on excellent reviews, we chose Longfellow's for a special occasion dinner. The food did not disappoint! Prices are reasonable and the atmosphere is lovely. Appetizers and entrees, along with the side dishes, were perfectly prepared and our server was very friendly and attentive.

Reviewed 20 September 2017

Family and friends had lunch here. The atmosphere is great and the food wonderful. The day was rather chilly and going into the dining room was very nice. The inn opened in 1716 so if you are looking for "old" this is the place for you. The inn is actually part of a complex that includes some other older buildings looking much as they might have in the past. You may want to plan on taking some time to walk around. The food was well priced and did not seem too expensive. There is plenty of free parking in a lot across the street. Not too far of a walk.

I would definitely recommend this place to others.

Reviewed 18 September 2017

This 2 reviews, so please read it all. Wife and I had dinner there one night before a wedding reception. For the dinner, we sat on the patio and enjoyed the evening. We had the grilled swordfish, wife had the green beans and baked potato, I had the pureed butternut squash, and baked potato. Swordfish was grilled just right, and was lite and flaky on the inside. The butternut squash was good, but I would rather have it roasted.
Daughter and partner had their wedding reception there. About 50 people total. We were in a room upstairs with our own bartender and wait staff. The happy hour food was typical, cheese and vegetable trays. We had 4 different menu options that the guest selected from ahead of time. All of the food came out together, was correct, and was hot. It also include a selection of hot rolls. They did all of this while there was a larger reception downstairs with band, and a really big reception outside with a tent. This was a nice time.

Reviewed 12 September 2017

We are never disappointed - my favorite place to go - my husband and I even got married there.....we recently visited to celebrate my in-law's 50th anniversary. The staff is so pleasant! We really didn't care for the room they had us in because it was a "walk-through" to other rooms and it was busy. The food was fantastic. I like that you can sit and enjoy your dinner without feeling rushed.