“Very good Levantine food, slow kitchen, somewhat expensive”
Review of El Basha

El Basha
Ranked #19 of 36 Restaurants in Sudbury
Reviewed 25 March 2017

All the food we had was excellent with the exception of the feta cheese with olives. The cheese was bland and it taste was overwhelmed by the olive oil. The kibbee balls were excellent--the covering was crisp, not oily and the ground meat was well-spiced. The lentil soup had a delicate broth with lentils, potatoes, baby spinach, and just the right spices. For mains, we had lamb dishes (make sure you specify that the lamb should be medium-rare). My wife had the lamb kabob with rice and grilled vegetables. The lamb was delicious and the quantity was such that she wound up taking some home for another meal. I had the Port Saiid lamb which is cooked with mushrooms in a garlic-lemon sauce served over rice pilaf. It was great; there was none left at the end of the meal. The only real Levantine dessert was baklava; this appeared to have a sugar syrup rather than honey. I prefer the sugar. This was a Friday night and there was not one empty seat; the kitchen was slow; the servers were apologetic; it was clearly not their fault. Cost is on the expensive side, but well worth the cost. I knocked them down one point for the kitchen slowness. I plan on returning.

Reviewed 9 February 2017

I love Lebanese food so I was thrilled when I discovered that El Basha had opened near where I live. First impressions are good - the design is better than you would expect for a suburban strip mall location. The menu is interesting, with a couple of things I hadn't tried before (always a good sign in my book).

Unfortunately the quality of the food was patchy. We shared a mezzeh platter of 4 dishes. The baba ghanouj was great though had a lot of extra oil poured on top which was unnecessary. The sembousik (little empanada-like pies) were excellent with very good pastry and tasty lamb filling. The homus blahme was OK - the topping of chunks of rather tough meat was not the ground meat promised. The balilah - chickpeas prepared in Mediterranean sauce - was very disappointing. The chickpeas were swimming in a bland watery dressing and there were chunks of raw green pepper and tasteless tomato. There was a large basket of pita bread which was stone cold. When I asked our waiter why the bread is not served warm he said you have to ask for warm bread. How do you ask if you don't know that is a special request?

The chicken shawarma we shared as our main dish was OK. Since it wasn't in the salads section of the menu, I hadn't expected the bed of greens to be chopped up lettuce.

The dessert menu is recited by the waiter and I assume they are all bought in ready made since only the baklava was middle eastern. The tiramisu we shared was a slice of cake, not my idea of a good tiramisu. It was a rather bland imitation of a tiramisu.

They have a reasonable cocktail list and a good selection of wines by the glass. I had a decent Malbec. The service was good, our waiter was responsive though we were never offered water.

I will try El Basha again as I hope it improves. It was reasonably busy for a weeknight and apparently it is jammed at weekends.

Reviewed 8 February 2017

My wife and I tried El Basha in Sudbury, it opened about six months ago, I love Lebanese food and really, really wanted to like it.

It is nicer inside than one expects in the strip mall location, although the two-top tables are very small and very close.

The Hostess was very friendly and seated us right away (open table - no reservations) on a Saturday night.

Unfortunately, it went downhill from there - we sat almost 15 minutes before any wait person even acknowledged us.

We split an appetizer (Sembousik) that was nicely presented but rather bland and tasteless. For dinner we had Beef Shawarma that was almost inedible. Tiny little beef shavings (cold) and greens dripping in sauce. Also tried the kebab mixed grill - the chicken kabob was tasty - great marinade and cooked just right. Sadly, the beef kabob was tough and overcooked and the kafta was very greasy.

On the plus side we had a very nice red wine blend - Ghostrider - that I highly recommend!

May have been a new waiter but slow service, never checked back, water glasses never refilled.... the food was a disappointment, it wasn't horrible but after dropping a buck and a quarter we were disappointed with the overall experience.

If you do go sit at the bar and have chicken kabobs - the bartender seemed great - hip guy going old school on drink mixing - had lots of time to watch him while waiting for a waiter.

1  Thank EWZ
Reviewed 28 January 2017

Had a good meal with friends. For a strip mall restaurant the space has a nice ambiance and fell. The steak shish kebab was fantastic and plan on ordering next time. Wide selection of dishes for meat lovers and vegetarians. Extensive beer and wine list. will be going back. They told us they do take reservations for 4 or more....

Reviewed 28 January 2017

New restaurant in Sudbury. Have been here many times with friends and is our "go-to" place. Menu selections, food and service are excellent. Interior design and appointments are very cool. Neat bar. Try a glass of "Ghost Rider" (red blend). Prices are just at the cusp. Have probably been there 6-8 times since opening the end of August. May be difficult to find . . . it's located nearly next to a TJMax in a small mall (sorry) on Rt. 20 in "downtown" Sudbury.

Been to El Basha? Share your experiences!