“Worth Every Penny. A Fun Experience For Younger Kids.”

Davis' Farmland & Mega Maze
Ranked #1 of 6 things to do in Sterling
Reviewed 14 October 2017

I have had my eye on visiting here since last spring. I have to admit doing research and looking at map, I thought to myself going to take one for the mom team here and bring the kids, even though it looks like I may leave with a headache (I was wrong). Fast forward to fall we finally made the trip. $20/person to get in (under 2 free). I thought okay pricey but let's see. WOW, I don't know where to start.

There are multiple walk in gated stalls that you can pet sheep, goat, and alpacas. There were brushes outside most of them that you could take in and brush the animals. There was a cute bird house with baby chicks. Some of the lambs and chicks were roaming free and friendly. Deer, emu, pigs, cows, donkeys. Sanitizer everywhere.

Pathways that led you to each area, making your way in almost a loop that landed you at 2 playgrounds, one sanded with John Deere trucks gallore, the other mulched. There was a flat bounce pad and another bounce house, a small section with a stream of water that had boats in it, fishing poles to fish out small fish, and sand shakers with colored stones you could sift out. There was a toddler play area for 3 and under. Then another whole play pretend area with a post office, schoolhouse etc.,

We paid $5 for a pony ride on ponies that were the size of horses. Then were told not to miss the hayride which takes you on a loop where some of the animals (cows, alpaca) come right up to the hayride and start eating the hay. So cute. While waiting for the hayride we were entertained by the cutest donkey (size of horse) playing and hee-hawing. I forget his name but he had the best personality and seemed to know the staff.

And, just when you think you have seen it all, there is another whole play area opposite of the other two that has these huge slides that are similar to what you see at a carnival. Also, a small little peddle go cart loop. A small area with sit on scooters and cones, trees that have small forts inside the way the branches fall, and a bunch of other interactive play stations. Oh and did I mention there is a turtle hill with at least 12 huge turtles roaming about.

Now for the little touches, baby wipes on the picnic tables, a nursing room for moms, kid sized toilets and sinks, a great cafeteria, CLEAN, and the KINDEST staff working there. Also, most everything was self serve, no tickets, no workers at every station but certainly plenty walking around to help and be there if you needed anything. I thought it was awesome when my son was on the peddle carts and one of the workers got on another one and raced him around track rather then just standing there overlooking him. So nice! I can't speak to the water piece of the park because it was closed for the season but need I say more with everything else.

When I think about what it must take to upkeep that farm, animals, staff, and everything in between plus stay happy to give us a memorable experience, while also thinking about how sometimes you take kids to a carnival and need to pay for the bounce house, pay for EACH slide ride, pay to feed the animals etc., how can I not say we got our moneys worth (and no, I would not equate this place to a carnival at all just). And we didn't even do it all. We were told we could help bottle feed the animals at a certain time and other timed activities.

Lastly I'll say, with everything they had going on there, you still knew you were on farm grounds. I loved that. I also think what added to our experience was that we went on a weekday so there was no crowd (highly recommend). The only thing I would do differently next time is pack a lunch and then buy the kids an ice cream as a treat. Not that the food wasn't good but nice to have the option to save money there.

Thank you to the staff and animals for an awesome day!! We will be back in the spring.

All reviews
in 11 reviews
"apple orchard"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 13 October 2017

Davis Farmland is basically a farm themed amusement park for kids that is also one of the biggest endangered farm animal reserves in the country. (Because of the industrialized nature of farms today, many breeds of farm animals are no longer raised on commercial farms and are in danger of extinction). The variety of breeds within the same species was very interesting to see and all of the animals seemed well-cared for.

We went as a family to celebrate our son's 5th birthday. I took the day off work to avoid the weekend crowds. (Davis Farmland is open Thursdays and Fridays through mid-autumn, but the maze and u-pick are weekends only). My son had a wonderful time and already wants to go back.

My son was happy that most of the animals can be petted. He enjoyed meeting kittens, bunnies, goats, sheep, chickens, llamas, alpacas and donkeys. (Beware that the baby goats enjoy a good nibble on any loose clothing). There were lots of employees (aka "farmers") on hand to make sure that the animals were being treated nicely and to answer our questions. It seemed like every time my son had a question that I couldn't answer, a helpful farmer was there to share their knowledge.

In addition to the animals, there is a hayride, pony rides (extra cost), play area and 2 large bounce house type structures. Since we were there on a quiet day, I jumped on the big bounce pad with my son and it was a lot of fun. (Other parents were enjoying it too). We were there for 5 hours and could have easily stayed longer had we not wanted to beat rush hour traffic home.

We ate lunch at the Herd Rock Calf-fe, the onsite restaurant. They had a nice selection of food considering that it is really a theme park cafe. We are vegetarians and actually had our choice of several items. We went with veggie burgers and my son had a grilled cheese. He said it was the "best grilled cheese ever." Perhaps we were just hungry from our outdoor fun, but everything was tasty (though the burgers appeared to be packaged garden burgers). Vegans should know that there were also vegan options including a hummus and veggie wrap and chocolate almond milk.

Considering the cost involved in caring for the animals, the number of attractions and the fact that the farm is well-staffed for the safety of both children and animals, I thought that the approximately $60 we spent on admission and animal feed for our family of 3 was worth the price. Adding in the cost of lunch and snacks, we spent about $100 for the day -- cheaper than throwing a birthday party and much less stress for me and my husband. My son says, "Davis Farmland is a really good place for kids."

Reviewed 12 October 2017

What a wonderful place for children to learn about farms and animals. The interaction with the animals is fabulous and there are lots of varied activities for active children. The staff is wonderful and helps the children learn how to treat the animals.

Reviewed 9 October 2017 via mobile

We went to Davis Farmland on Oct 8, 2017 There were 5 adults and 7 kids from 2-13. There was a lot to do, many simple and fun games that everyone enjoyed, 3 fire pits with plenty of lawn chairs, many picnic tables, the corn maze took us two hours! Adults, bring your license if you want one of their beers on tap, limit to 4 beers per adult. Plenty of hand sanitizer and wet wipes everywhere. Kids loved the petting zoo. We got a combo ticket but spent all day on one side so we never actually picked apples! We will next year. The food was pricey, almost $8 per beer, $11 for their Mac and cheese with pulled pork parfait, which was delicious! Hot dogs , Burgers, ribs, wings, fried dough, cotton candy, and make your own slushy station to name some of their options. Not sure if we just got lucky, but there was a band playing and they were great! I'll definitely look to see about that when planning for next year. It was perfect weather, any hotter and the maze would have been tough! Wear sneakers! Our kids wore flip flops and barely ever had them on (lots of jumping mats, blow up slides, mini golf, horseshoes, cornhole, and a soccer game where you go inside a bubble and knock each other over, so fun) and their feet were black by the time we left. We were there for about 6 hours and it went by fast, without getting to pick apples! The only thing that really bothered me is that I heard they had delicious apple donuts and went to buy a dozen. The girl said they had plenty, not to worry, so I went back an hour and a half later, and they were sold out! The kids were all disappointed. I will buy them early and store in car, but that bummed everyone out on our way out. I told them at the check in, but there's nothing they could have done. All in all a great family day and definitely learned a lot for next year!

1  Thank Lisa B
See more reviews
Reviewed 2 October 2017

I paid a $3 fee for the "convenience" of buying our tickets online; I figured it was worth it to avoid having to wait in a long line. However, despite the fact that there were clearly two lines, one for prepaid (and prearranged groups) and another for everyone else, everyone was using the prepaid line (the non-prepaid line was empty); not a single person in front of us had actually prepaid, and two sets of people in front of us didn't even know what kind of tickets they wanted. When, after waiting 10 minutes to get to a register, I pointed out that buying my tickets online had cost me $3 and not gotten me expedited entry, the staff person just shrugged and said sometimes they make the lines separate, sometimes they don't. There were certainly enough unencumbered staff walking around that one of them could have been trying to maintain the separation in lines, but apparently no one thought it was a big deal.
After that, everything was fine. They keep adding stuff every year. Despite the steep admission, you can definitely get your money's worth out of a day or even an afternoon there. In fact, this year's maze actually really challenged my ASD 14 year old. Normally after the first time through, he can go back through a maze without making any wrong turns. However, this year, even after 4 times through, he was still not making it through straight. So kudos to them for making a really complex maze.