“A Most Welcome Assault on the Senses!”
Review of Out Of The Blue

Out Of The Blue
Reserve with OpenTable
Out Of The Blue is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 344 Restaurants in Somerville
Price range: USD 14 - USD 27
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Grove Street
Transit: Davis Square red line stop
Reviewed 9 August 2017

Whichever hit me first ~ the powerful aromatic fragrance of garlic or the warm welcome by the wait staff ~ what was clear was that OUT OF THE BLUE was primed to provide an extraordinary culinary experience. With an open kitchen and neatly spaced tables, this friendly and intimate setting is the platform for a medley of delicious plates each of which tempted me and required that I partake just a bit. We began with the house crab cakes which are unique from any that I've tasted elsewhere ~ delicate cakes on grilled tomatoes with a special blend of mustard and capers. Although the place is well regarded for its fish dishes, I selected the Pasta Putanesca and was not disappointed. It's one of a couple of dishes that I choose to determine the mettle of a restaurant, The Putanesca was fantastic, savory, perfectly flavored and balanced. I tasted as well from the Seafood Cioppino and the Chicken Parmesan and was equally impressed. For me, the final piece de resistance was the cannoli, perhaps the best I've had. This place is excellent.

Reviewed 18 May 2017

Food was good. Slow start on service. They didn't take drink orders while we pondered the menu. I noticed that this was not the case for other tables. But after ordering, the drinks came pretty quickly and when the food came it was hot and delicious. Everyone finished their food and didn't have room for dessert. It's in the neighborhood for us, so we'll be back when we are in the mood for sea food.

Reviewed 16 May 2017 via mobile

This is a great little gem in Davis Square with delicious fresh seafood and pasta and a reasonably priced wine list. We were very pleased and will return again soon. Highly recommend.

Reviewed 12 May 2017

The food and service were very good. I had the shrimp, scallop, and acorn squash pasta that was excellent. Others at our table had chicken parm and sesame salmon. They also liked their meals very much. The cannoli was a wonderful surprise. I don't get cannoli often and this was first rate. Be sure to order one!

Reviewed 29 April 2017 via mobile

This dish was done nicely with shrimp and tomato in top. Nice atmosphere and a big enough room that you can get a table without a long wait. Will be going g back :)