“Massachusetts: Represent!”
Review of Redbones Barbecue

Redbones Barbecue
Reserve with OpenTable
Redbones Barbecue is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 345 Restaurants in Somerville
Price range: USD 1 - USD 20
Cuisines: Barbecue, Bar
Good for: Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Authentic Home - Style Southern Food
Reviewed 30 June 2017

With the goal of eating BBQ in all 50 states in mind, yesterday we headed to Redbones. It's a hole in the wall that's been there forever and contains interesting humans of every conceivable type - goth, prep, the Johnny Depp version of Willy Wonka, and run-of-the-mill boring people like us. There are about 8,000 beers and ciders on tap in this rustic-kitschy-cool joint, and I have to believe it's very popular with students. As far as the food...

Texas, you have some unexpected competition.

We had beef ribs and brisket, and while the ribs weren't anywhere close to Black's (Lockhart, TX) in beefiness and size, they were tender and flavorful. The brisket was to absolutely die for - smoky and tender, flavor out the wazoo, honestly some of the best I've ever had. But forget that because the sides stood out hard. No kidding. I had pinto beans that were simple and delicious, without the goober that most places want to dress them in. And then there was the star of the show: roasted root vegetables. Brussel sprouts, carrots, beets, and baby radishes, charred up and well seasoned - I would go back for those alone.

(Okay, that's a lie - I'd definitely have more of that brisket.)

So Redbones is our Massachusetts BBQ representative, and did its state proud. Nice job, folks!

Reviewed 25 June 2017

We are from the south, travel often, wide and far, have seen lots of BBQ. Redbones really is pretty good; as good as you'll find anywhere. Best BBQ in Boston and surrounding area. Prices are fair and about what you would expect to pay in BBQ places down south. Other BBQ places in town are way over priced and not near as good. You know you are in a honest-to-goodness BBQ joint when you can smell the sweet smoke a block away and when you see the decor inside.
BBQ Belt plate was very good. Wife had brisket, perfect. Son had combo and enjoyed the pulled pork. Sausage was only so-so. Baked beans....OMG good.

Reviewed 15 June 2017 via mobile

Went here on a Saturday night, it was very packed but i figured if people were waiting over an hour it must be great. Boy am I happy I waited. I've never had chicken and waffles and this one I don't think anyone will beat. The gravy they give you is delicious. I have raved to all of my friends and can't wait to go back!

Reviewed 15 June 2017 via mobile

Fantastic BBQ. Great beer selection. A bit loud. A lot of fun. Love the ribs and the brisket. Great stuff.

Reviewed 13 June 2017 via mobile

On a recent trip to visit our friends in Boston, they took us here for dinner. We all ordered the beef brisket dinner special and it was absolutely delicious! We ended up sitting in the downstairs area, which has the really cool vibe and really interesting and original artwork on the walls. Going back to the food, you don't really need the BBQ sauce that came on the table and my particular pieces had such a great bark on it. We also all ordered the fries and potato salad. Delicious!! Our friend has a gluten allergy and she was able to enjoy this meal without worrying about getting sick. I highly recommend this place and would happily return here to eat. On a side note, the upstairs is cafeteria style and might be better suited to families as the downstairs was pretty dark.