“Great pastry! Tastes as good as it looks!!!”
Review of The Rise Cafe

The Rise Cafe
Ranked #16 of 53 Restaurants in Somerset
Reviewed 4 November 2014

Authentic Portuguese and American style pastry. Have you ever looked into a bakery's window and drooled over the pastry only to be disappointed when you taste it? That won't happen at The Rise Cafe. We live within a mile and frequently stop in for a coffee and a muffin, bagel, breakfast sandwich, croissant, malassadas, cookie, danish... And the entire place is immaculate. You won't be disappointed.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

This is great for breakfast foods - ham,egg, cheese on portuguese roll or bread of choice, Lunch
or mid day egg salad sandwich. To many pastries to list but they are all delicious. Owners as well as helpers are very friendly. They have a couple of outdoor tables as well as tables and counter to serve there patrons. I get there at least once a week. You can also buy fresh bread. There raisin bread is great.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

This place is immaculate. Family run, excellent baked goods and sandwiches. Recommend the chourico rolls.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

I am really surprised by the previous review. We have been eating here (breakfast & lunch) for at least 3 years, fairly regularly. We used to stop by before we moved here, and still come here as a treat since we moved to Somerset almost 2 years ago.
I haven't tried their traditional pastries- but they do look very good. The spinach croissant and the ham and cheese croissant are both good- get them heated on the panini for a great snack.
This is a bakery first, and a cafe second - but they do make all the expresso drinks if that is what you like.
Their sandwiches are all made on their own fresh bread. I highly recommend the egg, cheese, and sausage on a sweet bread roll. My husband really likes egg and chees on the linguica roll.
Their lunch sandwiches have all been very good too. We've had buffalo chicken, roast beef, pastrami, and others. All are made on the panini.
For eat-in, you order at the counter and they bring the food out to you.
We have always had pleasant, friendly service - and NEVER have experienced the treatment the previous reviewer had. I hope that the girl who served them no longer works there!

Reviewed 1 December 2013

Have gone here several times and have always ordered their yummy egg white and cheese on a wheat wrap. My husband and I bought our home here in Somerset, 6 months ago, and we were thrilled to find a local small business cafe to support.

Today, was my last day I will ever step foot in this place.

I ordered my usual - Egg White and Cheese on a Wheat Wrap. The young girl took my order and a few minutes came back with it. I got in my car and realized it was made on wheat bread. So I went back in to explain the mixup. They quickly took care of it and went back to remake it. The girl who took my order initially, came out to deliver meals to someone, and promptly said with anger "Next time, you need to say a wheat wrap and not wheat bread if that is what you won't." I calmly stood there, a little shocked that I was being berated for her mixup. And just said "Sorry, I did say a wheat wrap". As she rounded the corner to go into the kitchen, her reply was "Dumb [--]". I couldn't believe it. On small business Saturday of all days, I have never ever received such poor service. I am a small business owner as well, and so talking with the manager/owner I thought would be the best solution. The owner did not seem to really care either and I left feeling so disheartened. The owner also hung up the phone on my husband (who is restaurant manager) when he called to ask more about how it was being dealt with because he saw me in tears when I came home.

1  Thank Allisonfaunce

Been to The Rise Cafe? Share your experiences!