All reviewsother guestsnew englandhostslodginginternet
Reviewed 26 December 2016

I visited Shelburne Falls in a way back to New York from far north Maine. Arrived late in the night and everything was ready for the two rooms we reserved. The rooms are very comfortable and we could have a very deep sleeping until the next morning when were attended by his owner, a very illustrated man with wonderful conversation. Just what you expect from people of one of the most amazing towns in the area

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with friends
Xovox88, Owner at Dancing Bear Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2017

Thanks so much for your kind thoughts. We thoroughly enjoyed your visit and we hope you will come back and stay with us again in the near future. ¡Gracias!

Reviewed 2 November 2016

I always wanted to have a B & B experience in a Victorian. I also, wanted an holistic healing experience without having to go Sedona or some Californian spa.

Shelburne Falls offers both.

Back in May, I wanted to treat myself to a wellness getaway as a birthday gift and well earned vacation from one doozy of contract job.

Not many people know that Pioneer Valley, which Shelburne Falls is just one of many small towns that make up this lovely valley, is a oasis chock full of holistic healing spots. Unless you are in the know and read lots of wellness magazines, you wouldn't know that there are holistic practioners and meditation centers all up and down the valley and along the Mohawk Trail (Rte 2) and as far north as the Vermont border.

So I needed to also find a place to stay since without a car transportation from Boston is still in the dark ages and it is pretty much one Greyhound/Peter Pan to neighboring Greenfield by way of transferring over at Springfield a day and one Greyhound/Peter Pan back per day.

So I was thinking May in the middle of the month would be an ideal time to book a stay at a B & B. It is early in the season, it is not summer and the fall would be expensive due to the beautiful foliage that time of year and being so close to the Berkshires, all rooms would be booked anyway.

So I looked at all the lodging in the Shelburne Falls area and I fell in love with the Dancing Bear on Mechanic Street. Something about the stained glass and the cozy feeling of each of the rooms The Bragdon's run a lovely establishment. Mr. Bragdon was kind enough to pick me up in Greenfield from where the Greyhound dropped me off. Because it was spring and low season, I got not only a great rate but a nice room a two bed bedroom with my own bath.

For those with transportation there is so much to explore. You can drive along the Mohawk Trail , drive down to Northampton, Amherst and Montague. In the Montague area there is a medieval festival called "Mutton and Mead" for both adults and children to enjoy, Greenfield and Shelburne Falls offer some local cultural events as well as UMASS Amherst and nearby Northampton.

If I can find the time, I would love to go back to the Dancing Bear but with my folding bike so I can explore the bridge and the falls if weather permits.

Room Tip: Rooms depend on availability This bed and breakfast is really popular with couple and still provided a good room for me, the lone traveller.
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 August 2016 via mobile

The Dancing Bear b&b is a wonderful place to come and rest. It is clean and well maintained. It is in a quiet neighborhood and a walk away from restaurants and shops and the flower bridge. Phil and his family are most accommodating and made us feel welcome and at ease. He is friendly and a great cook! I highly recommend for folks to stay here and look forward to coming back again!~sue

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Susan C
Reviewed 25 July 2016

I spent a night with my sister while visiting family in town. The Balcony Room was spacious and comfortable, with a large private bathroom across the hall. The air conditioner and ceiling fan were more than sufficient for the hot July day, and it was a treat to sit on the balcony with a cold beer during a late afternoon thunderstorm. The Inn is on a quiet street within easy walking distance to town. The hosts were very accommodating, and Philip is an excellent cook - breakfast was delicious and plentiful. I will definitely stay there again if I return to the area.

Room Tip: The Balcony Room overlooks the quiet street, and was spacious and comfortable with a large private bathroom across the hall.
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank SusanF1225
Reviewed 22 July 2016

I was pleasantly surprised at my accommodation. It was a restored 19th century home and it was so comfortable. My room was spacious and the bathroom was also big enough for one. Both were very clean and well appointed with plenty of linen. The air conditioner was also useful on occasion. The location was excellent, well within walking distance of nearly everything in the town. Philip was an excellent host, providing wonderful conversation throughout. He was happy to answer any queries and nothing was too much trouble. I would thoroughly recommend this accommodation to anyone and would not hesitate to return should the chance arise.

Room Tip: All rooms have air conditioning and are generally quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo