Thornton W. Burgess Museum - CLOSED
Review Highlights
Pretty Little Spot

Enjoyed seeing the inspiration for the Thornton Burgess Peter Cottontail children's books. The... read more

Reviewed 6 July 2014
AdventureSis
McKinney, Texas
Interesting

We were short on time and could not spend alot of time at the museum. What we did see was... read more

Reviewed 2 July 2014
Linda V
New England

See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 24 September 2012

We were welcomed by the staff even though they were in the midst of a meeting, and they took the time to give us some interesting information about Thornton Burgess. Cute gift shop too.

Date of experience: August 2012
1  Thank Wenmom
Reviewed 25 August 2012

Attend story time for children no matter how old you are! Sitting in the grass by the beautiful Shawme pond, you will be delighted with tales from Thornton Burgess.

Date of experience: September 2011
2  Thank Lisa601
Reviewed 4 August 2012

No tour guide. You are on your own to look around. I would rather have someone explain what I am seeing. Large selection of Thornton Burgess' books to buy. No fee, but they ask for donations

Date of experience: August 2012
Reviewed 19 July 2012

One of the few treasures I have been able to retain from my childhood of many moves, is a tattered copy of the Burgess Animal Book for Children with its stories of Old Mother Nature and Peter Rabbit and its lovely color plate illustrations by Louis Agassiz Fuertes (my sister had the Bird book, which I have long coveted and at last purchased). So it was with the sense of visiting an old friend, that I pulled up to the modest cottage by the side of a pond that is the Burgess Museum.
This is a simple affair, don't plan on spending the day there, an hour will do. But for those of us forever touched by Thornton Burgess's simple, innocent, and deeply informative stories, it's a magical hour. Bits of information about the author's life, a docent who loves the man the way we do, rare copies of his books, many in pristine condition, and the homey feel of the place combine to make for a lovely escape into a better world. Stroll into Sandwich after your visit and there will be a glow about the place that you didn't notice before.

Date of experience: August 2011
3  Thank Joe B
Reviewed 13 May 2012

We knew nothing about Thornton Burgess when we visited the Museum and really learned very little about him there. Underwhelmed but did enjoy learning about the jam kitchen.

Date of experience: April 2012