“Don't let the exterior fool you”
Review of Rock Harbor Grill

Rock Harbor Grill
Ranked #6 of 58 Restaurants in Orleans
Cuisines: Gastropub
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 26 July 2017

Though it lacks curb appeal, it's cozy and inviting inside. We were told at least an hour wait, but were seated in less than 30 minutes. Good wine and beer selection. I enjoyed my perfectly dressed salad and the lobster mac and cheese.

Reviewed 24 July 2017 via mobile

From their wood oven comes some very delicious offerings. Whether its a pizza or chicken this place rocks out some great cuisine. Fantastic bar area.

Reviewed 24 July 2017

Really enjoyed myself at the Rock Harbor Grill in Orleans over the dinner hour tonight. Was disappointed with my meal, but I attribute that entirely to my ordering wrong. I look forward to going back and giving myself another chance to succeed.
We arrived within an hour of their opening on a Friday after work in the middle of the high season on Cape Cod to find the parking lot full and every table taken. We parked across the street in a mall’s back lot because we did not know there is a free municipal lot behind a lot of shrubs to the right of the restaurant. We could’ve biked here, too, as the restaurant sits right on the Rail Trail, which is just behind the restaurant. Bike racks are there, too.
We were given a beeper by one of the three delightful hostesses and condemned to a 45-minute wait for a table for two. The group of six behind me were told an hour. I could see additional diner-wannabes streaming across the parking lot. Then my luck struck; I must’ve looked forlorn as one of the hostesses then told me there is another waiting list for a seat at the bar. Thank you, nice Lady.
Bartender, Restaurant Manager and keeper of the bar-chair waiting-list took my name and number, two of us, mid furiously mixing potent potables for a house full of hungry and thirsty eaters and drinkers. He was ably assisted by barperson Kelly, who was also frantically multi-tasking to serve the hordes surrounding her and him on bar stools, plus those wanting a drink while they were standing around waiting for a table to become available. I asked her if she would have to keep this murderous pace up all night, this being a date night. She deadpanned, “All summer,” all without slackening her furious pace. Never have I seen two hospitality people working harder, faster and with such great skill in all my years. I hope you are paying them well, Chuck & Meredith Konner. They earn it.
I had the Fenway Park Sausage Sub, a char-grilled Bianco & sons’ sweet Italian sausage on a crusty sub roll, which came with with roasted peppers, caramelized onion, and hot cherry peppers, drizzled with a roasted tomato aioli. It was served with house fried potato chips, and cilantro-lime coleslaw for $15. The toppings were too hot for me and I found the potato chips to be stale and tasteless. The coleslaw was the star of the plate and I was sorry to see the bottom of the little bowl it came in. The sausage was what I expected, thank you chefs, but nothing to rave about. It tasted to me more liked it had been nuked to bring it to eating temperature than char-grilled. Your results may vary. The taste of the tomato aioli, one of my fav flavs, was lost in the crowd of other ingredients that came with over-powering high spice heat.
My dining partner had the fish and chips for $22, which also came hot, but the other kind of hot, hot from the deep fat fryer. Hot, hot, hot. Thanks for the multiple warnings, Paul. Got to taste one of the chips. Crisp on the outside, moist on the inside. Very good for you; but I prefer mine double-dipped or otherwise incinerated. Shame on me.
The hit of the night culinarily for me was the pretzel bread sticks that Kelly brought us after we ordered. They were warm and comforting and came with honey mustard butter, a very nice touch. I thought I could nibble on an end of this high glycemic index beauty, but it seized my taste buds, which over-rid my it’s-the-weekend brain, and I found myself taking it all in. Bad choice in retrospect but at the time it seemed like the right thing to do.
Iced tea cost three bucks, well within the realm of area pricing, albeit at the higher end. We discussed the fact that with my ice water with lime for free and the small charge for tea, we were disadvantaging the bar as we were occupying seats that should’ve generated additional revenue (and gratuity) following the purchase of adult beverages costing a lot more than tea or coffee. I did not feel too bad for the house, as it was very apparently raking in big bucks throughout the building serving its ravenous and thirsty customers. Using my well-honed and painfully-learned quantitative analysis skills, I calculated what additional gratuity to leave for Kelly based on what she should’ve gotten had we imbibed more ambitious beverages. This was no gift; she earned every penny of it serving us two quickly, efficiently and with her winning smile. Thank you again, Miss Kelly, for making our first visit to your fine establishment a memorable one. And thank you, Mr. Paul, for hiring her; you should pay her more.
I very much look forward to returning to the Grill. While waiting for what turned out to be a pair of contiguous bar stools to become available, I walked through the relatively small dining room and checked out what others were eating. I have already tentatively decided what comes next and after next. It would be great to see you here when I come back.
Post Script: You can walk across the street (look both ways--twice) or along the Rail Trail (Keep your eyes peeled and your ears wide open for the sound of approaching bikes from either direction and perhaps at high speed, and often without warning) to the Hot Chocolate Sparrow for dessert, should you have room. They, like everyone else on the Cape, I am beginning to believe, had only one flavor of no-sugar-added ice cream--black raspberry, Kiddy Cups for $3.25 or $4.50 for a mid-size. My good friend did not feel his life was threatened by his choice of Death by Chocolate. The window server told me the staff is half Americans and half guest workers. They rotate positions so that they all share all the jobs. I met one of the foreigners outside on her break who told me the chocolate shop next door and the ice cream dispensary are all one business. The Sparrow is definitely worth your visit. Danger, chocolate can be addictive.

Reviewed 24 July 2017

My family eats here fairly regularly during the summer. (We'd probably eat here even more if it were easier to get a table!) It is a little more on the expensive side, but we've yet to have a bad meal. There is something for everyone on the menu, from burgers and pizza to more exotic fare - always creative and delicious. Service is always impeccable as well. The waits are never quite as long as they say they'll be, which is nice, and waiting with a cocktail on the back deck or at the fire pit on a nice night isn't bad, either.

Reviewed 23 July 2017 via mobile

Had about a 30 minute wait-pleasantly shorter than the 45 minutes they predicted-on a Friday around 5:30. Lovely spot to wait out back and enjoy cocktails made for enjoyable wait. We had mussels, Mexican corn and chicken wings which were all outstanding!! Entrees of special Gumbo with skate and chorizo (delish), Kale salad with scallops and our 7 year old had chicken fingers and fries (and then battled me for my scallops after trying! We had a great experience. Management on floor helping and checking in. Gluten free menu with tons of options. We'll be back!