All reviews waffles across the street front porch martha's vineyard french canadian granola facing the ocean inkwell beach warm chocolate chip cookies fresh fruit large porch bed and breakfast quiche minute walk located directly nice treat spent nights
Reviewed 22 August 2018 via mobile

Good times, great location, easy staff, fresh room and friendly hostess!
I just had one of the most calming and at the same time, hyped vacations ever!
With the Martha’s Vineyard Film Festival, Comedy Festival and coming home at night to a glass of wine, swinging on the porch and glazing at the reflection of the moon on the Inkwell Beach!

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with friends
IsabellesBeachHouse, Front Office Manager at Isabelle's Beach House, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2018

We love having you and Caroline and your friends. You are here when the Island is so busy and there's so much to do. We appreciate your very nice review. Isabelle and I try and make everyone's stay comfortable and happy. Have a great fall and winter and we will see you next summer.
Nancy
Front Desk

Reviewed 22 August 2018 via mobile

Whoa, I just returned home from Oak Bluff, stayed and loved everything about my accommodations at Isabelle’s Beach House!
It’s my 4th year and I would’nt think of staying anywhere else, just because of the good warm& friendly vibes, from the staff; the location at the INKWELL Beach; the Island Bus STOP- right a the front door; and espically the welcome and personal hospitality from the owner, Isabelle! I was recommended to her spot by Black folks that have known and trusted thier only two-week vacation to her for a couple of years before I began!
I look forward to my vacation next year and It seems that I may be doubling my room request because I’ll be bringing my MOM and her two girlfriends along!

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank tonisE171PK
Reviewed 22 August 2018

We have stayed at the Beach House now 6 times and love it there. Isabelle is a 'hoot' and gives us ideas on new restaurants, shops, etc. FYI: someone just made a comment on Isabelle being a 'racist' and that is so not true. There were several Black people staying at the hotel when we were there and she was nice to everyone. If this woman thought she was a racist, why has stayed there many times? In my opinion, Isabelle is nice to EVERYONE! And sitting on the porch at night with a glass of wine and hearing the ocean is the best way to end the day!

Room Tip: All rooms are different, each one named after a different beach there. The one off the porch is good for a family.
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2018 via mobile

During my stay at Isabelle’s Beach House I ignored the “those people” reference about attendees of a black sorority event. Overlooked the owner touching my naturally curly hair. However, hypocrisy is where I draw the line.

Isabelle complained about people attending a black sorority event and a past guest who allowed friends access to a locked restroom. Obnoxiously yelled “let them go in your room!” which is up 1 to 2 flights of stairs. The comment shocked me because it’s unreasonable for a guest of a guest to have access to every part of the lobby except a bathroom. Also, during multiple visits to this inn, I have witnessed past guests allow their guest access to the lobby bathroom plus I have witnessed random folks like a lifeguard and friends of employees use the same lobby bathroom.

Isabelle displayed an unreasonable bias that goes against hospitality and suggests the guests of guests are barn animals unworthy of using a lobby toilet. This is the same logic that allowed separate toilets during Jim Crow.

I got a good sense of Isabell’s bias and highly doubt she would take that stance with all customers. When my two black, affluent and senior citizen friends needed to go, I graciously escorted them to the lobby bathroom. We were immediately ambushed by one of her employees who made all of us very uncomfortable.

It reminded me of the Philadelphia Starbucks incident without the cops being called.

The next day, Isabelle approach me directly to unload her anger about me allowing my friends to use a lobby bathroom. Since she was aggressive and showed absolutely no respect to me as a person—much less a customer—I decided to just listen and observe. Her rant made me wonder why she felt so comfortable talking down to a customer who has stayed in her establishment for almost 5 years.

It is never acceptable to berate a customer—any customer!

I’ll spare an explanation on why I go to MV and the history lesson but check out the PBS doc “A place of our own” to get it. My dealings with Isabelle revealed a lot and I am very disheartened by her views and actions.

Stayed: August 2018
1  Thank GingerChi
Reviewed 19 August 2018 via mobile

Excellent as always. Great food, beautiful setting and perfect location.
Illumination night celebration was awesome and hostess went over the top to accommodate everyone.
Just wish there was a no smoking policy.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple