All reviews wiggins tavern continental breakfast cocktail hour coolidge park smith college new england classic hotel wedding weekend the hotel's website hotel is great beautiful historic hotel old world granola an older hotel front desk staff fresh fruit main street
Reviewed 8 August 2018 via mobile

My friend and I really enjoy traveling, and like to do it together.
That said, it’s only been in the last few years that I have helped her to understand my personal philosophy for traveling. After a few years of aging, I now only stay in housing within walking distance of the main assets of the area.
This hotel fit the bill on so many points. It’s historic, a bonus, it’s centrally located ,always good, and it has a bar, a restaurant, and a tavern- even better! The staff was very professional- standard continental breakfast is included.
Our room was nice, overlooking the main st.. it was quiet, but there was no microwave or fridge
I would recommend this site for anyone who’s fond of convenience and comfy beds.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 July 2018

This is really a lovely grand dame of a hotel. If you have limited mobility, however, make sure that you get a handicap access room. We were put in the second floor of an out-building. The room was very nice, but the stairs were a nightmare. Given ADA requirements, I never thought to ask.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 July 2018 via mobile

We stayed one night here. The hotel is very clean with a friendly staff. The room was a nice size with window looking over the town. The room was quiet. The hotel has two nice restaurants and is right in the town making it convenient for a stroll.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 July 2018 via mobile

I stayed frequently at this lovely old hotel years ago and it has really gone downhill since then.

On the positive side:

The free breakfast is a nice perk.

The location of the hotel is very convenient.

The room was large and clean.

Front desk staff was pleasant.

The cons:

The mattresses were terribly uncomfortable and at least in our room need to be replaced.

Our room was hot despite having air conditioning which made for a sleepless night.

Our room had double beds and since there were three of us we requested a rollaway. There is a $20 fee for this service which irritated me considering our room charge was $250/night.

The room looks shabby with dated decor. The curtains hang askew.

Service was slow/nonexistent in the dining room.

This hotel could be fabulous once more but needs some investment. Disappointing at best but especially for the price.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
3  Thank Tula E
Reviewed 18 July 2018

FYI this is a long one...

I was excited to stay in the Hotel Northampton as we were visiting from NC and wanted to be in a walkable part of town and close to family who lived nearby. The location is great. Northampton is a super cute town. The breakfast is decent, though, albeit a bit lackluster. Be patient with the toaster as they have ONE and literally everyone is trying to toast their dang bread at once. What a scene.

The whole hotel smells musty and old. Again, I know its historic, but air it out!! Our room (506) was the size of a shoebox. Other people who noted they had spacious rooms must have paid soo much, because our queen shoebox was over 300$ a night. Despite the small size, they still managed to fit THREE wicker chairs, a giant banged up desk and chair, a wicker table, and a tv stand (the 20 inch tv didnt work the majority of our two day stay).It was just sooo cramped in the room. THe floral comforter was a huge turnoff. Ive never seen a nice hotel with a colored comforter. Time to switch to white! Our AC turned to heat in the middle of the night... literally we didnt touch a thing it just started blowing very hot air. It was late and we didnt want to deal with maintenance so we just turned it off and opened windows. The next morning I told the front desk staff and the woman immediately tried to blame me and said "well did you have it on Fan?" I told her no it was set to Auto the whole time and she basically just rolled her eyes and said shed call maintenance. Hopefully they fixed it for the next poor guest as it was inching towards 90 in the room. No apology and no discount.

If you stay on a weekend there will most likely be a wedding. Good luck getting through the lobby.. whew. What a mess. Its such a small venue for a wedding, so even as a paying (high) guest you feel like an intruder!

All in all, this place is a huge disappointment! Its ridiculously overpriced and is super dumpy. They will most likely say Oh were renovating soon but if you are staying soon youre stuck with it. Unfortunately I think this hotel knows theres essentially no competition in town and is getting away with charging ridiculous prices for motel 6 quality rooms!

They had a "Historic Hotels of America" book in room. They should really open it up and take note. Not all historic hotels have to be outdated and ugly!

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family