“If you're going to be out that way (Newton and points west)”

Hotel Indigo Boston - Newton Riverside
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Newton
Reviewed 17 February 2012

This was my second stay at the Indigo Newton Riverside, for the same reason as my last stay; a family event in Newton. It's a convenient location, easy to find, and quickly accessible to anything and anywhere I needed to be, including Watertown and Cambridge. This isn't the most likely place to stay if your business is in downtown Boston.

The room size is fine, though the closet space is small and kind of constrained. I liked the bathroom, and the shower had hot water and great pressure; don't need a tub, they're dangerous anyway. I arrived (both times) after 9:00 PM and found check-in to be fast and friendly, with the desk clerk taking an interest in me and my reason for being in the area. This was true the first time I stayed, and it was the desk staff who guided me to and recommended a breakfast place in nearby Auburndale.

I ate one meal in the Bokx 109 restaurant on the night I arrived and enjoyed my meal. The problem is it's the only place to eat if you don't want to go out and try to find something, which won't be nearby.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Richard K
GeneralManager21, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Boston - Newton Riverside, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2012

Let's go Pittsburgh,

Thanks for taking the time to review the Hotel Indigo - Newton Riverside. I will pass along your kind words to our front desk staff. We have a great staff up there who really care about making every guests stay memorable and enjoyable. From reading the review it sound like you found the "Knotty Pine" in Auburndale, just down the street. A great "locals" breakfast joint! We love to make sure our guests explore the neighborhood. Thanks agian for staying with us!

Reviewed 29 January 2012

We had to stay in 4 hotels in Boston suburbs this month and this was one of our favorites. We got a great deal on Priceline for a 3* hotel. Liked the modern room with hardwood type floor. Added treat was K-cup coffee maker. Bed was very comfortable.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank RhonaP

RhonaP

Thanks for posting such great comments about the Hotel Indigo Newton Riverside, and I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay! Most guest love our hardwood floors. Very hypoallergenic and much easier to keep clean as opposed to carpets. I see our service stacked up well also. I will pass your kind words along to our team. Thanks again for taking the time to write a review and come back soon.

Hotel Manager

Reviewed 27 January 2012

The rooms are very small, with a freestanding closet and nowhere to work. The bathrooms are also tiny, with only a shower, pedestal sink and compact toilet. To put your personal items, use the little shelf above the sink and toilet, but be careful not to knock anything off.

The bed and pillows had me flashing back to military life. Squishy pillows and feather quills sticking in my face all night and no back support.

My most recent stay was winter, I could not get the heat to change, and no hot water (tepid at best). I got $25 off.

I think the Boxx restaurant on premises is expensive for what you get.

Room Tip: Try the Marriott a couple miles away.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business

Randy S,

I am disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay at the hotel. Our rooms and bathrooms are smaller that most, however most people enjoy the contemporary design, hardwood floors, and spa like features in the bathroom. Our Restaurant BOKX 109 is an upscale steakhouse that has recieved great reviews from guests and locals. It is certainly a fine dining experience and is not a fast casual one, which can be disappointing to those who are looking for a less expensive hotel venue. Thanks for the review.

Reviewed 14 January 2012

Stayed at this hotel with hubby while visiting Boston and surrounding area. Great out door pool area with tiki bar and outdoor couches. At night fantastic bands and outdoor fire pits. Our room was small but perfectly efficient and very moden. The beds omg, were fantastically comfortable with down comforters and pillow top mattress. I loved the beds. Only drawback is the steakhouse on site is extremely pricey. The indoor bar is large and fun. The hotel is directly next door to train station and bus station, green line takes u into Boston or Fenway and surrounding towns. Only problem is the lighting in the bathrooms is terrible. But I have stayed here three times and was very happy.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

yogidavis24,

Thanks for the wonderful review and kind comments about the Hotel Indigo Newton Riverside and our Restaurant and Pool - BOKX 109 American Prime. I will pass along your kind comments to our team and hope you will keep coming back again and again! Thanks.

Reviewed 2 January 2012

I was very excited about staying at the hotel after a friend had taken me to the restaurant (Bokx) over the summer. The furniture was so modern and I was in love with the outdoor fire pit and lounge.
Now I know I wasn't going to get to enjoy the outdoor space when I decided to spend New Years Eve here with my boyfriend, but I was certain that the experience would be like what I felt in the restaurant: chic decor that made you feel like you were in a high-end location. Boy was I wrong...
I intentionally booked a King Room with couch, thinking I would get a roomy/suite-like space but it was more like a big bed crammed with an old 70's-orange and itchy couch in a tight room. The first room they had us in had a badly-cracked sink and the bathroom was crummy. The rug was a little drab...a yucky green that just looked dirty. I asked that our room be switched...by then my boyfriend and I were a bit nerved.
So the room they switched us to was a little better (the sink was not cracked) but I was disappointed to find the same weird decor of art work, itchy couch and rug. They went cheap on the furniture and the interior design choices sucks. I mean, I get that hotels aren't supposed to wow us, but when you sell it as a "boutique" hotel and at such a price, I do expect a bit more. The bathrooms were also really small and had no real charm. And it seems that no matter which side you were on, there were no good outdoor views.
The good things were the "fake" hardwood floors and the bed was very comfortable. I slept like a baby. I was also pleased with the service. The hotel service members were prompt and attentive.I think it's an alright place, just not worth the money. You are better off enjoying the restaurant and lounge areas which are well-designed and charming.
Again, for NYE I was hoping to be in a space that was more charming...such a disappointment! I won't be staying here again...

• Stayed: December 2011
GeneralManager21, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Boston - Newton Riverside, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2012

Elgador....

Thanks for taking the time to submit a review on the Hotel Indigo - Boston Newton Riverside. I am happy that you had a wonderfull New Year's Eve experience in our award winning reatuaurant BOKX 109, but I am equally unhappy that your overnight guest room experience was not as satisfying. I apologize for the cracked sink, it will be changed out immediately. As for the decor of the room I am a bit surprised by you comments. The same designer/architect used to design the public areas, pool area, and restaurant were also used to design the guest rooms. Although a bit small most guests feel the rooms truly reflect the contemorary boutique image. I am sorry you did not see it that way. Again thanks for the critique and I hope you will give us another chance.

Best Regards
Hotel Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newton
1.4 km away
10.7 km away
Hampton Inn Boston-Natick
11.7 km away
Crowne Plaza Hotel Boston - Natick

Been to Hotel Indigo Boston - Newton Riverside? Share your experiences!