“Stretch your imagination”

Ranked #1 of 10 things to do in Lincoln
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The largest of its kind in New England, this sculpture park encompasses 35 acres, 20 miles northwest of Boston. The park features a constantly changing landscape of large-scale, outdoor, modern and contemporary sculpture and site-specific installations, and hosts more than 60 works, the majority of which are on loan. Year round activities include snowshoe tours, yoga in the park, birding tours, curator and artist conversations, and many special talks, screenings, and events.
Reviewed 4 January 2014

This is not your 'typical' sculpture garden. Follow the path at your leisure and view a variety of wonderful and unexpected 'sculptures'. I think our favorite was the knights in the woods....you come upon them scattered there....and it lights the imagination. We were there on a rainy day but umbrellas solved that easily and we hardly noticed as we strolled the path. Take a look at the website for some examples but you will find the unexpected around each curve.
It is a thought provoking day out. There are rotating exhibits in the main building but we found the sculptures were really the highlight. Stop in the cafe for a cup of tea or coffee, etc.
(We didn't think to ask if they plow the paths in the winter so not sure how this would be for a visit with a foot of snow on the ground if they don't!)

All reviews
"gift shop"
in 23 reviews
"modern art"
in 11 reviews
"wear good walking shoes"
"all ages"
in 11 reviews
"definitely worth the trip"
"walden pond"
in 29 reviews
in 15 reviews
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 23 November 2013

I was disappointed as I was expecting a museum filled with oil paintings with fancy frames, some well known artist names, etc. - but I didn't find that. In a museum, when I see a piece of art I believe is interesting, I will look at it and recognize the talent of the artist and wonder how they did that. If one cannot figure out how something was created or it is just amazingly beautiful, one can leave the museum feeling satisfied. In the case of the items viewed both in and out of the museum, these thoughts had little bearing. I could easily see how the 'art' was created; for a few examples, one artist had string/wire hanging from the ceiling to a point just off the floor and this was in a vertical line and consisted of a number of these strings; another piece adjacent to the strings was an old quilt with holes cut out of it; outside, one finds an exhibit of stacked newspapers. There is no wonder how these were created - similar to exhibits where artists hang an empty frame on the wall, or have a blank white stretched canvas, or one that is entirely painted one color. There is no wonder here as to how these were created - just amazement that someone has done this and it hangs in a museum. Granted, there were some interesting pieces in the museum as well as on the grounds. I preferred the outside grounds and it is pleasant walking there. For those seeking regular art (oil, watercolor, acryllic, etc) with impressionism, realism, cubist and all the other forms, this might not be the museum for you. For those interested in contemporary or items described above, this museum would be worthy to check out; again, the grounds are nice to walk around.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

My boyfriend and I visited the DeCordova Sculpture Park and Museum this past weekend after stumbling across its listing on Trip Advisor's "Best Kept Secrets" page. We decided to pair a trip to DeCordova with a lunch in Concord, MA (as Lincoln and Concord are just a ten minute drive apart). After lunch we arrived at a little after 2:30pm and had plenty of time to explore for a few hours before the park closed at 5pm. It was a chilly day so we spent less time than we otherwise would have walking around outside. If it had been a bit warmer I would have loved to wander around the premises a bit more or sit for a while on the outdoor terrace. There is a beautiful view of a nearby lake so I would love to return in the summer and just sit for a while and take in the view. As far as the art itself goes - it was fun to check out. It's definitely a bit "out there" but fun to just wander through and look at. Overall a good excursion from Boston and an easy way to get out of the city for an afternoon.

Reviewed 12 September 2013

This fabulous find is a hidden gem in the Boston area offering great art in a spectacular setting. My husband and I enjoyed a visit here last Friday and spent a most enjoyable day wandering the grounds, exploring the sculpture outside and exploring the museum with its fine exhibits. I would definitely recommend this sculpture park/museum if you are in the area. The programs for children seem to be a great way to get the whole family involved. The catered food available at the cafe' is reasonably priced and delicious.