“The Finest Hotel (small or otherwise) in America”
Review of Blantyre

Blantyre
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Lenox
Reviewed 8 January 2012

My husband and I stay at the Blantyre once or twice a year, most recently in October 2011 when we had the pleasure of also attending their Roderer Estate Champagne Dinner. I agree with other commenters that this property is nothing short of amazing. Ms. Fitzpatrick Brown has truly done something exceptional in not only the decor and ambiance of the property but in her training of the staff, as well. You'll feel whisked away to a long-lost time and place. Each room has a curated collection of fine antiques and books and high-quality dvd's and cd's. You feel as if you are staying in the fine country home of someone with exquisite taste, and really, you are. We have stayed in the Patterson Suite, which is absolutely enormous (with two separate bathrooms!) and also some of the smaller rooms, like The Orchard Suite in the Carriage House. Staying in the rooms in the Carriage House is nice if you are going to be using the beautiful pool or the super-relaxing spa. In the winter time, it's nice to stay in the rooms in the main house, as most of them have fireplaces. The food is exceptional and keep in mind a full (and I mean enormous) breakfast is included in your room rate.

Ms. Fitzpatrick Brown spares no expense nor any effort in making your stay something you will never forget. Do not let the price put you off in booking a stay here. It is worth every penny.

Room Tip: My favorite room is the Laurel Suite in the main house. This would be a perfect, cozy aerie for a h...
1  Thank AlbanyNYIslandlover

Reviewed 7 November 2011

I recently spent an unforgettable overnight at Blantyre. As numerous reviews attest, the place is extraordinary. No detail goes unnoticed. I have stayed in many hotels and this one truly distinguishes itself from the rest. It's difficult to even think of it as a hotel! You do feel more as if you've been invited to a friend's country manor.

I was traveling to Lenox to have dinner with the high school guidance counselor who had turned my life around, and who I had not seen in 45 years. After reading reviews of restaurants in Lenox, I chose Blantyre for what promised to be a very special dinner.
An unseasonal snowstorm arrived soon after I did, and by 5:00 p.m., the roads were blanketed. The restaurant stayed open, and, not wanting to brave the roads twice, I reserved a second room for my guests, who--though both in their eighties--were ready for the adventure. When we arrived back at Blantyre, we were greeted outside by 4 or 5 people, including Ann Brown, the owner. Ann was so excited that we'd made it and so happy for us that she offered a free room for my guests that night. With a guest who was more than willing to pay for the room, I found Ann's generosity remarkable. And it's that remarkable generosity of spirit that makes Blantyre so special. It begins with Ann, and was evident in every single staff person I met there. Although I'm sure the staff is held to a high standard, I felt the staff members I met were genuinely good-natured and enjoyed providing a memorable experience to guests.

So we dined at leisure, in our own beautifully appointed small dining room, with wait staff that were nothing less than courtly, without being pretentious. When we wanted a photograph, someone appeared with a camera. The next day a disposable camera materialized. The dinner was extraordinary-- perfectly prepared and delicious. The creme brulee was the best I've ever tasted. We lingered over dinner for hours, and then were driven to our rooms in the carriage house. My room was as lovely and as comfortable as has been reported in other reviews.

In the morning, we were driven to the main house again for a sumptuous breakfast and, while we ate and talked, the amazing staff were busily digging out and cleaning off my car.
All in all, the Blantyre was much more than I'd hoped and I am looking forward to my next visit there. Try it. You won't be disappointed!
LE Lexington, MA

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank lanaeps
Reviewed 26 October 2011

The people are warm and go out of their way to make your stay exceptional. We stayed in one of the rooms in the carriage house called Brookside. We loved it. The room is beautiful and elegant but also comfortable and homey. As we entered our room right behind us they came in with champagne accompanied by a cheese and fruit plate. A nice way to start our adventure. We had dinner at their restaurant the first night and the experience was wonderful. You enter the main room with the scent of the fireplace and the sound of the piano in the air. You are given tasty canapes to start in the main room before dinner. We made our dinner and wine selections and then after a nice relaxing time were brought into the dining room. I must stop here and just say that the service and the people that work here are all amazing, friendly and go out of their way to add to your experience at Blantyre.The meal was wonderful from beginning to end. Fine dining indeed!

In addition to the property it is the local area that adds to this experience. We went for a nice hike up Monument Mountain one day and then to Ice Glen the next. Amazing hikes and great views.

We had dinner in Lenox at a great restaurant called Nudel. Great food bursting with flavors.

Blantyre is one for the memory books and we will be returning over and over. We loved it and highly, highly recommend it.

Reviewed 11 October 2011

A stay at Blantyre allows you to experience what life must have been like during the gilded age, prior to nuisances like the income tax, and working to earn a living, got in the way, and the Berkshire "cottages" like Blantyre were basically abandoned.
We had a truly extraordinary and might I say magical, stay at Blantyre. While my wife and I are widely traveled and love to stay at fine places, a stay at the Ice House, a two bedroom cottage that Ann Brown, the owner, kindly offered us, at 2k a night for just the room, would probably be out of our league.
Before I proceed, in terms of full disclosure, we did not have to pay for our stay at Blantyre as I had won an event where the prize was a two day stay with all meals and wine included. But as a frequent traveler and TA contributor, I will attempt to be completely objective in this review.
Blantyre is just as my title says, truly extraordinary. At any of the world's great hotels, however perfect their location, the mark of distinction is mostly carried by the quality of the service and the staff. Here Blantyre shines- the service was without any doubt exceptional throughout. From the moment we reached, we were whisked into this magical world, where there was nothing required except savoring the champagne and the world of Blantyre that Mrs Brown has so lovingly created.
The property is beautifully maintained and the absolutely gorgeous weather the weekend we were there added to the Berkshires beauty in the fall, but Blantyre shines by itself, creating an ambiance regardless of the weather. There is a very nice hiking trail right on the property, if you do not want to go outside. The Potting Shed, Blantyre's spa is perfectly situated on the property and the staff, like all of Blantyre's shine. I am not much of a spa person, but my wife, who has indulged across the globe said the treatment was comparable to the best.
I will comment on the food and wine. The food was excellent, the chef's creativity was challenged by my wife having the vegetarian tasting menu and I the regular one, and he delivered in spades. The vegetarian menu was amazing and I kept asking for a taste (which after the first one) was firmly denied.
And then the wine. We are both very wine centric with a cellar at home, but I have to say, this was one of the "wine weekends" of our lives, comparable to our trips to Bordeaux, the Rhone valley and Brunello (Montepulcino). I owe a debt of gratitude to Luc Chevalier, the amazing sommelier for making our stay so memorable. His knowledge, sensitivity to the guests palate, and ability to match just the right wine with whatever one is eating, is sheer perfection.
In summary, I am determined to go back, this time on our own dime.

Room Tip: The cottages are marvelous, with just the right blend of complete privacy and access to the main hou...
Reviewed 7 October 2011

Two days here was as restorative as a week spent elsewhere. Blantyre is like the house you've always wanted - but better. The rooms are all unique, and the linens are so cozy I found myself writing down the names on the tag to order for my home. The service was exceptional but unobtrusive; it's an incredibly special place that makes you feel as if you're going back in time to a kinder, more luxurious era. I'm sending all my friends!

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank UESnewyorker
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenox
3.5 km away
4.9 km away
Courtyard Marriott Lenox Berkshires
7.4 km away
Hampton Inn & Suites Berkshires-Lenox

Been to Blantyre? Share your experiences!