“New England charm in need of a facelift”

The Village Inn Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #18 of 20 Lenox B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 July 2017

We needed a one-night stay in Lenox and booked the Village Inn. There are some plus factors: Great location in the center of town; friendly and competent staff; pleasant breakfast and outdoor areas; parking (right in the center of town). From the outside a classic, rambling, New England building. Initially, on the inside a rather dark, woody evocation of the B&B experience 40 years ago, though now out of date and clearly run down. Our room was spacious, overpriced, survivable, but nothing more: A “king” bed cobbled out of two singles bridged with waffle foam; ancient bedding; cracked linoleum and peeling paint in the bathroom; surface electrical rewiring; window air conditioner; banged-up antique-barn furnishings. Thinking of it as quaint off-campus housing for graduate students (which we once were), we just relaxed and enjoyed it, but the place should be completely renovated, at which point one-night stays in mid-summer will probably no longer be possible.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Minor7th
There are newer reviews for The Village Inn Bed and Breakfast

Reviewed 5 June 2017 via mobile

My mom and I were looking for a place to stay to break up the trip to Cape Cod. We found this place online and it looked like a nice, charming inn. We were welcomed by the owner, but that is where the comfort ended. The place is in desperate need of upgrades. The fire hairdryer, if you can call it that, was from at least the 1967's and we were afraid to use it, there was no shade on the bathroom window which looked right out into the parking lot. The furniture was stained and the room had no AC or circulation of any kind - not even a fan! If we would have been able to check out without losing our one night deposit, we would have left. STAY AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 February 2017

I love the Village Inn and have stayed there twice, the first time while going to Tanglewood, the second after a day at Kripalu. Yes, it may seem a bit shabby, but if you're a New Englander, you understand that this is a New England B&B and that's part of the charm. If you want the same-old generic hotel experience you can find in any town, GO STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE. Also, I would NEVER assume an antique B&B anywhere is going to be very handicapped accessible. When I get older I will have to consider other options. For now though, on both occasions here, our rooms have been cozy, clean and comfortable, the showers have good hot water and great pressure (always top of my list) and the usual amenities of shower soaps and lotions, and the beds very comfortable. The first stay we even had a romantic fireplace, although it was summer and we didn't use it. Breakfast was fantastic in the sunlit porch - I had french toast with good farm bacon and my companion had an omelet.

Room Tip: This is an old inn, so steep staircases, narrow halls.
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 October 2016

At the onset I will admit that I am not a fan of Bed and Breakfast Inns, because there is great variability as to their accommodations in comparison to a corporate hotel/motel which gives you a pretty well known standard of accommodation.
Considering the price I paid, I expected more than I received.
From the outside, the Inn looked pleasing. Inside was a different story. The main section I was told was from 1771, the oldest building in Lenox. I expected charm, or rustic, or even luxurious interior and furnishings. It was none of these. The structure, both outside and in is in desperate need of renovation, restoration, or even demolition and re-built.. There is nothing appealing here.
The front desk receptionist needs a course in hospitality. Two elderly people should have been asked if they need help with their luggage, having to go up a steep flight of stairs.. We were at first directed how to get to our room and then I guess the receptionist thought better of that and took us there.
The only positive I can think of is that the Inn is well located on the main street where nice shopping and main restaurants are located, and if they had a sign outside for directions to parking that would be an extra bonus. The other positive is that they serve a good breakfast. And lastly the linen was clean.
But paying $315,13/night for this type of accommodation is outrageous.
I am sorry I missed other reviewers comments.

Room Tip: chose another INN
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family
5  Thank pbenj
Reviewed 15 October 2016

I think this Inn is in need of renovations desperately. We stayed only one night but will not return again. The lady at the front desk was friendly and provided our breakfast. My thoughts are that this could be a beautiful B&B but the renovations to repair and update may be cost prohibitive.

Room Tip: This is a B&B not hotel. Dining room available for breakfast only. Needs renovations.
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank fnorman68
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenox
0.6 km away
8.7 km away
The Red Lion Inn
The Red Lion Inn
#1 of 1 in Stockbridge

Been to The Village Inn Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!