“Charming B&B in Lovely Village”

The Village Inn Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #18 of 20 Lenox B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 September 2011

My wife and I stayed here the Saturday and Sunday evenings of Hurricane Irene, having planned on attending concerts at Tanglewood Saturday evening and Sunday afternoon. (For the first time in Tanglewood's 74-year history, they cancelled the Sunday afternoon concert due to Hurricane Irene.) This B&B gives new meaning to the words "centrally located": You can walk to Tanglewood (although the walk back to the B&B in the dark might be a challenge), and it is situated on the main street of Lenox, MA with perhaps 10 restaurants on this street and two side streets. (A few doors down from The Village Inn is a great pastry place -- had a wonderful fruit tart and a chocolate mousse in a chocolate cup. Also, there is an AMAZING independent book store on one of the side streets.) One of the things that made this B&B so wonderful was the very friendly staff. I am very sensitive to noise, and I found this place remarkably quiet. We stayed in Room 16 (overlooking the back parking lot), and I was concerned that we would hear cars going in and out throughout our stay. Nope. Quiet. Also, I did not hear any noise from our neighbors. I should mention that the B&B host noted that all 32 rooms HAD been full booked (and paid for), but 20 rooms were subsequently cancelled due to Hurricane Irene (the host mentioned that they gave those 20 customers vouchers for free stays in the future), so maybe the fact that the B&B ended up being more than half empty contributed to the quietness? The room was nicely furnished in Americana furniture, the king-size bed was firm but surprisingly comfortable, and the bathroom, though modest in size, had a whirlpool bath/shower combo in the corner. One thing I find VERY irritating about B&Bs and regular hotels is the poor lighting. Not so here. There were several table lamps, the main ceiling light was so bright that we kept it off most of the time, and two very powerful (3-way bulb) lights over each side of the bed made reading in bed a delight. Breakfast was buffet style the first morning (and is usually buffet style), with eggs, pancakes [I didn't try the pancakes, so can't comment], fresh orange juice, fresh fruit salad, an upscale brand of tea, and AMAZING cinnamon rolls. I was VERY happy with this buffet (and my wife, who typically eats more healthy than I, was delighted with the oatmeal that was also served at the buffet). The second morning, due to the fact that there were few customers in the B&B, they decided not to serve from a buffet. Rather, (even better!) we were given menus and ordered whatever we wanted for breakfast. One of the two evenings we stayed there we had dinner at the B&B's restaurant. GREAT food. (I had the lobster pie, my wife the salmon.) Overall, despite the fact that I'm a very picky person, I found little to complain about at The Village Inn. We had a great stay and we would definitely return. HIGHLY recommended.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Psychologyguy
There are newer reviews for The Village Inn Bed and Breakfast

Reviewed 12 August 2011

Usually my husband and I stay in larger brand name hotels, but this time we decided to get more of the flavor of Lenox by staying at the Village Inn. Our room was small but comfortable and had all the amenities we needed. The breakfasts were included in the price and had an varied selection. We especially enjoyed the ginger pancakes. We also had two excellent dinners at the restaurant . The location can't be beat. We would definitely return.

Room Tip: small but comfortable
Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank paulavk
Reviewed 5 August 2011

Not wanting to drive back to RI after an all day trip to Tanglewood we decided to stay overnite in nearby Lenox, MA and managed to squeak out a reservation at The Viliiage Inn B&B. All lodgings are sold out in Feb. when the annual Tanglewood schedule is published. Late arrivers beware!!!! Very few rooms available in August. Village Inn is typical of the local B&B's. Immaculate housekeeping and a hearty home cooked breakfast made for an enjoyable stay. Would recommend it again in a heartbeat!!

Room Tip: Reserve early in the season!!! Tanglewood fills all the local spots up fast.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 July 2011

The breakfasts were buffet style both of the mornings that we stayed here, and they were very good. Our rooms were comfortable. Both couples stayed in the TIER 1F rooms with fireplaces, and for a building as old as this one we were surprised by the size of the rooms. They were large by “Bed and Breakfast” standards.
There were always fresh cookies and coffee in the lobby, which was a nice touch.
We have stayed in Lenox and surrounding areas many times, and this inn has comparable pricing to other lodgings in the area.
We walked to Tanglewood from the inn, and though the road was under construction (which made it a muddy and messy walk) it was certainly walkable for an able bodied person who regularly enjoys hiking. It was approximately a 20 minute walk to the venue, but it took a little bit longer to get back to the inn (due to the fact that you are walking mostly all uphill).

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank FeltriGeorge
Reviewed 25 July 2011

I stayed one night at the Village Inn and did not want to leave, but had responsibilities to get back to. This historic 1771 inn has charm and warmth. My room was very clean and comfortable with everything I needed already in it, such as a clock radio, air conditioner, hair dryer and even a whirlpool bathtub. Billie and Pat, the Inn's welcoming host and hostess made my friend and I feel very welcomed. The full buffet breakfast which was included in the room rate offered a large variety of hot and cold breakfast foods and everything was delicious. The staff both in the dinning room and reception area were gracious, friendly and helpful,

I highly recommend the Village Inn to anyone visiting the Berkshires - Judy Z, New York City

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenox
0.6 km away
8.7 km away
The Red Lion Inn
The Red Lion Inn
#1 of 1 in Stockbridge

Been to The Village Inn Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!