“Good experience at the bar”

Luau Hale Restaurant
Ranked #39 of 64 Restaurants in Lenox
Price range: USD 0 - USD 12
Cuisines: Chinese, Polynesian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 10 September 2015

This place looks pretty sketchy from the outside, so I had to check it out. I was hoping for a real kitchy 70's Chinese food experience, but alas there was nary an aquarium to be seen, though there were a few strategically placed tikis at the bar.

I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the drinks. I had an excellent Mai Tai and the wife had a Suffering B*&@ TripAdvisor won't let me use the real name of the drink). Both were very good. We had a couple of apps: steamed dumplings and spicy wings, which were both of surprisingly good quality.

The highlight of the visit was the bartender, Edmund, who shared stories of his daughter and told us about the local area, offering some ideas of sights to check out. Overall a good fellow.

Reviewed 20 May 2015

I will never be patronizing this restaurant again.

About 3 weeks ago, few of my friends and I arrived about 10-15 minutes in front of the rest of our party because we had about 14 people and wanted to give the wait staff time to set up before a barrage of people came in. The wait staff said that they would get the table ready. One of my friends needed to sit because she was in the emergency room the night before for her legs- so we went to the bar. After some more of our party arrived,we decided to check on the progress and saw the tables were mostly set-up but the staff was still putting out silverware. My friend with the bad legs said "We dont mean to rush you, I just want to get off my feet" and sat down at an opposite side of the table from the wait staff ho were setting up. I noticed I was standing in the way of a second wait staff person and said "Im sorry let me get out of your way". Neither of us were acknowledged. They seemed incredibly annoyed and as they were walking away I could hear them talking about my friend who sat down first- all the way to the kitchen and while they were in the kitchen- which was about 30-40 feet away from us. They mocked her comment of "I dont mean to rush you" follow by "What a b****!" All of us heard it, as well as other customers who have reviewed on tripadvisor.

My friend was immediately upset and walked out and explained to a front staff member and the bartender what happened. As she was leaving the front staff manager stopped her and said she spoke with the waitresses and she misunderstood. "They said they were talking about something else". Each of us heard every word of their conversation and they blatantly lied when approached by their fellow staff.

Many of us left messages for the owner and have never received a call back.

On the bright side- we went down the street to JAE'S BISTRO and had an amazing waitress who was given a very large tip by our party of 14 after being there for 3 hours!

2  Thank maerogers
Reviewed 20 May 2015 via mobile

food is ok when they decide to be consistent in portion size, ingredients, and temperature . However take it home! Inside smells like mold and urine. Roof leaks in the back theme room. Ice been going there since I was a kid. I can't not sit inside and eat any more the smell is too overwhelming to me. All I smell is urine. Take out is the way to go. But beware of the attitude and the fee for take out. Yes, on attitude on female staff! Many are not so friendly....as well as the male owner! My last visit was in January. By choice not going back. Giving my business to Panda down the road. Cleaner. Friendlier. Better prices. Cleaner tasting food made without an attitude and made to order

1  Thank Beaulieu-Craftfamily
Reviewed 15 May 2015

The BEST fried pork dumplings, ever. I will never eat the "cheap" Chinese food delivery in my town, ever again; the drive is worth it. Awesome atmosphere, and Kai us the best wait staff!

2  Thank Jay Em G
Reviewed 12 May 2015

Clearly customer service is an issue at this restaurant. I will NEVER patronize this local restaurant again.

My husband and I offered to stop in and reserve a table for our party of 12 - 15 people who had been performing in a fundraising variety show. The wait staff said they would get the table ready. We waited in the bar so I could sit (I need knee replacements), and after two more of our party arrived, decided to check in on the progress. We headed out to see that you had set up the tables, but were still putting down silverware and napkins. I told the waitresses that I wasn't trying to hurry them, but that I needed to get off of my feet. They gave me nasty faces and didn't even acknowledge my existence. Another person in our party said, "Let me move out of your way." She was not acknowledged either. They didn't even bother to make eye contact because they were busy holding on to their very angry faces. Then, they walked in to the kitchen, repeated my (I thought) very kind comment and said, "What a bi$ch." All four of us heard it clear as a bell. I told my party I would NOT be eating in this restaurant.

I was VERY angry and I explained to the staff member in the front what had happened. I also explained what had happened to the bartender. On our way out the front end staff member told me that she had spoken with the other staff members and that I had misunderstood. That they had been talking about something else. I replied, extremely angry now, that I had not misunderstood. That I heard EVERY SINGLE WORD. There was no mistaking the point.

I left a message for the owner the following Monday, and never received a call back. Clearly they are not concerned about bad publicity or the loss of hundreds of dollars in revenue.

8  Thank Melissa M