All reviewsroom was largefront desk staffbed was comfortablewafflesfresh fruitfree breakfastamherstfurnishingstargetconveniencesoapmicrowavehighwaymaroute
Reviewed 10 July 2018

We have been staying at this Howard Johnson each time we come to the Amherst area. Rooms are clean. Staff is personable. I wish their rates did not fluctuate as much during the course of the year! I've paid as low as $80 and as high as $250 for the same type room.

Stayed: May 2018
Reviewed 8 July 2018

The little Wyndham cup assured us that "you earned this." I'm not sure what we did to earn it, but it must have been something pretty terrible.

Ok, it's not all that bad. The wifi worked and the bed linens were clean. The pool was fine--it's outside for what that's worth. But the mattress was noticeably uneven. And the bathroom didn't have a fan (well it had one, but it didn't work and I suspect hasn't for quite some time), leading to these gross little brown globules of stuff on the ceiling. I guess they weren't hurting us or dripping or anything, but kind of ick. We visit the Amherst area frequently and there are better places for the same money. The front edifice looks like the building is relatively modern, but it hides what's a very run down property in need of some rehab.

This probably sounds like I'm Little Miss Fussypants, but I'm really not. We stay at a lot of places that basically amount to "cheap motel" and don't usually have this reaction.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

I made a reservation for a king size bed on Expedia and when I arrived for check in nothing left but rooms with saggy double beds and staff were without empathy for their mistake.

So I either have to sleep separately from my husband or accept not sleeping all night due to cramped mattress where I can practically feel the springs.

I used my Expedia points so no refund ☹️.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
JB401russ, Front Office Manager at Howard Johnson by Wyndham Amherst Hadley, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2018

Thank you for staying at the Howard Johnson in Hadley, I would like to apologize for not being able to meet your request. If you would like to call the hotel and speak with me further about this I would be happy to talk with you.

We do hope you will stay with us again in the near future. Thank you.

Reviewed 26 June 2018 via mobile

I have to be honest...after reading some of the Trip Advisor reviews on this hotel I was extremely hesitant to book but the other "budget" motels in the area seemed a little too expensive for the product being offered. I've stayed in my fair share of hotels around the world...everything from luxury resorts to budget hotels and this hotel was far from what I had braced myself for and far from being the worst. While the property is dated and definitely in need of a facelift (common areas and rooms), the experience was a positive one. The front desk staff were friendly and ready to offer suggestions for local attractions and restaurants. The room was clean, odor free and well-maintained. The water pressure and drainage in the tub were fine unlike some other "budget" hotels where you stand in 2 inches of luke warm water when taking a shower. The bed and pillows were comfortable and clean. I'm a bit puzzled by some of the overwhelming negative comments other reviewers have left as that was not my experience here at all. The hotel was clean, convenient and fairly priced for the product being offered. The breakfast was a bit on the sorry side. Good for a bagel and coffee, though. There's a solid diner right down the street...about a 3 minute drive...if you're looking for a heartier breakfast. Overall, this was a solid choice for a long weekend in Amherst!

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends

Thank you for staying with us here at the Howard Johnson in Hadley, we really appreciate all the kind words and are so very happy you had such a great stay. We would love to have you stay with us again in the near future.

Thank you so much!! Hope to see you again!

Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

Timing wasn't on our side. We need a place to stay while we finalized our situation. The manager and staff we great. They accommodated us for 2 weeks. It was the best 2 weeks. The stress we had endured was released because of the staff and managers here. The room was nice and comfy. It was always kept clean. Even when we didnt need it. There was a note telling us they stopped by and if we needed anything to just ask. We have stayed at many hotels in all types and I say this Howard Johnson was top notch. Better than The new Tru by hilton in chicopee Massachusetts.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple

Thank you for all the kind words, it was really a joy to have had you guys as guests. We hope your situation has worked out and to see you again soon.

Thank you!!