“Very good sushi dinner”

Price range: USD 0 - USD 40
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Seafood, Healthy
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Japanese Gourmet Restaurant, Sushi Bar, Robata Charcoal Grill, Extensive selection of grilled fish, salads and tempura, Vegetarian and Gluten Free Options, Dairy Free and Sugar Free Desserts, Kaiseki-traditional Cuisine of the Japanese Tea Ceremony, private Tea Ceremonies, Bizen Pottery Gallery of Ceramicist Michael Marcus
Reviewed 4 January 2018 via mobile

We had a very good sushi dinner. The sashimi was very fresh and generous in its size...very tasty too. There is a large variety of rolls to choose from with very clever names. We had 5 different ones and liked all but one.
The miso was good too.
The service was efficient but not warm like in most of the restaurants in the area.

Reviewed 4 January 2018

I used to love this restaurant and was very disappointed. I felt that it was not very clean-
the lettuce in my salad was not fresh and the scallion dressing was not as good as before.
My grandson ordered chicken and his dish came and was somewhat cold.
My family liked the shrimp tempora but said the sushi was not good and the California rolls were worse. I had Nori rolls and they were just OK-were better in the past. The bathroom was not very clean

1  Thank Franny A
Reviewed 30 December 2017

I had a very kind waitress. The weather was zero degrees and my car wouldn't start. So I walked over for some miso soup. The waitress was very pleasant and the food was very good. I highly recommend.

Reviewed 25 November 2017 via mobile

We spent the afternoon of the day after Thanksgiving in Great Barrington, and were perhaps a bit surprised that many people did the same. Most of the restaurants were packed, even for late lunch, with long wait times. We wandered into Bizen because there was no line on the sidewalk!

I’ll start by saying that the food was excellent. My daughter had sushi, and it was fresh and beautifully prepared. I am usually a sushi person but I went for alternatives from the lunch menu. I had something like a balanced meal, with sobs noodles, very fresh veggies, and some gluten free (!!!) shrimp and vegetable tempura. My husband got a bento box with some very well prepared fish, and a variety of sides.

The service was, well, challenging. It reminded me of a New York experience. A little aloof, not immediately clear why it was taking so long, things that should have been fast were not, etc. things came out of order. No one was rude, but no one was particularly friendly.

The ambiance was interesting. It’s a fairly big place, but it seemed divided into narrow corridors, so even though there were plenty of empty tables, I found myself squeezing by people/tables, and feeling in the way. Our table was tiny. There was a single restroom. We got lost on our way there, and not one felt the need to help us out Some folks don’t lock the door when they are in there. Again, it felt like NY.

I’m not saying that any of this was bad. I’d go there again in a heartbeat, because the food was so good.

Price is moderate for a Japanese restaurant.

bizensushi, Owner at Bizen, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2017

Dear Marielena66
Thank you very much for taking time to write such an appreciative review especially since there were some glitches in your experience at Bizen and everything you reported will be carefully discussed. I think what you said in your opening was very important ie: the long lines of people cramming into the other restaurants. Bizen has the space and also very formal Japanese rooms where one can usually dine in relative comfort in a very traditional environment. The problem in Great Barrington is accommodating the multitudes of people on the day after Thanksgiving all wanting lunch at the same moment. Even well prepared restaurants like Bizen had doubled there staff in order to render the dining experience more comfortable.
What I am trying to say is please do not use this experience as your memory of what Bizen is like all the time. Bizen is a special restaurant with excellent, fresh food comparable to anything in New York and without the attitude and high prices. Perhaps just this time rate us for the excellent sushi and great variety of food your family enjoyed. And please say hello the next time you come so I can personally greet you. We are striving to get your 5 rating every day but obviously fell short on a very busy post Thanksgiving Friday. Thanks once again.

Reviewed 18 October 2017

Everything about Bizen is simply amazing. The ambience, the service, and most importantly the many, many authentic Japanese dishes.

Bizen is pretty legendary, so you definitely want to make a reservation even for two, and give yourself plenty of time to enjoy your meal. The menu itself is several pages long and always has an additional several pages long specials list.

We've been here many times - in large groups, in small groups, in the traditional take your shoes off and sit on the floor tables, at the sushi bar to watch the chef prepare. It's all been heavenly!