“Review of the Omakase ("Chef's Choice")”
Review of Bizen

Bizen
Price range: USD 0 - USD 40
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Seafood, Healthy
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Japanese Gourmet Restaurant, Sushi Bar, Robata Charcoal Grill, Extensive selection of grilled fish, salads and tempura, Vegetarian and Gluten Free Options, Dairy Free and Sugar Free Desserts, Kaiseki-traditional Cuisine of the Japanese Tea Ceremony, private Tea Ceremonies, Bizen Pottery Gallery of Ceramicist Michael Marcus
Reviewed 17 April 2016

From studying the reviews before our visit to Bizen, I concluded that the best experience would probably be in the omakase or in the raw fish selection, prepared to snag bar seats near the chef Michael, and didn't expect overly attentive service. However, we ended up receiving very attentive and friendly service (when it was not crowded in April). We ordered the $50 omakase (which means entrusting the chef to select the meal). Michael was not available, so another chef served us. We sat at the sushi bar where we could observe the chef slice the fish and assemble the sushi. I later realized that the omakase here seems to be more of a fixed offering than the chef improvising. The $50 omakase was enough for the two of us, and it included 9 slices of fish served by themselves (called "sashimi"), 12 slices of fish served on rice (called "sushi"), and 6 pieces of a sushi roll. The fish included salmon, tuna, red snapper, striped bass, mackerel, yellowtail, eel, and shrimp. It was served with lemon, wasabi, ginger, and shiso leaves. We also ordered tea ($1 and unlimited refills) and extra rice on the side. It was good, but I was not blown away.

Reviewed 6 April 2016

2 years ago was our very first visit to this fine establishment- My 6 year old son at that time was blown away by the sushi selection but we were only there for a lunch. The very next night he pleading for me to drive back! That evening we had a lovely quiet dinner. It has become his very favorite location ( we live on Martha's Vineyard so unfortunately it is only a once a year thing) Last year the owner ( a wonderful gentleman in every sense of the word) came to our table as my son is anaphylactic to any dairy. He told us many things about the menu and that he had a dairy free vegan turimasu that my son could have!!! That piece of "cake" came out and was as big as my son's head but not bigger than his SMILE!
He had NEVER been able to eat a dessert out before. The owner explained all the services that they have, unfortunately the owner was to be away at a very important event and would not be able to do a formal tea ceremony but set up for my son and I to come in for another service where you are in a quiet secluded area and small plates are delivered ( I forget the formal name) we both enjoyed every moment of our special time together.
This year I am hoping to call ahead so that we will set up to do the tea
ceremony- I already can't wait but we will see you I'm sure many times between July 31st and August 7th- It certainly can't come soon enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bizensushi, Owner at Bizen, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2016

Dear Lisa B
Thank you for your kind review of Bizen. I remember meeting you both the evening you described and I want to tell you how happy I felt being able to offer your son a home-made, non-dairy organic dessert made by our master pastry chef. The sense of validation that comes from being able to offer our community high quality, organic foods without sugar, without dairy and wheat free in many recipes is really the reward that our staff works so hard to achieve and which fuels our commitment and enthusiasm. Thank you for your appreciation and kind words; looking forward to seeing you in the near future to perhaps have a Japanese Tea ceremony and our unusual Kaiseki meal which is the cuisine of The Way of Tea.

Reviewed 9 March 2016 via mobile

Every month I return to Stockbridge for work I come to Great Barrington for Bizen almost every time. Service is good. And food is always exquisite
I live in Sonoma County and we have the best food in the country!!
Thanks Bizen

bizensushi, Owner at Bizen, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2016

Dear Tiffany. Thank you for your kind review of Bizen. It means so much to me personally and even more to our hard working staff who work anonymously most of the time unless
someone like you takes the time from their busy schedule to acknowledge their efforts.
California, Sonoma County, Wine Country are geographically at the highest level of our culinary awareness. That you would include Great Barrington and Bizen in that company is cause for gratitude. Domo Arrigato

Reviewed 29 February 2016

Not really much to say about this place. The food was bland. Been to many better Japanese restaurants. They tried to make this place zen with their special names but in the end, it's just sushi and odon stuff. The sushi didn't really hit the spot for me. The rice was kind of hard on the sushi. Overall, it's everything was average at best. The desert at the end was a disappointment. They had this RICE cream, which is suppose to be like ice cream made of rice. The kids hated it and the adults thought is was off based. They tried to make things trendy but in my opinion, it is poorly executed.

Reviewed 18 February 2016 via mobile

Such a diverse menu, catering to everyone's wishes. Michael (Chef and Owner) is very knowledgeable in the area.
Never dissapointed!
I love to sit at the sushi bar and watch the chefs!
Also, great decor!