“YUM! Worth a drive from many miles away!”
Review of The Meat Market

The Meat Market
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 2 September 2016 via mobile

When we read that The Meat Market's burger has been rated the best in the USA, going there was a no-brainer. Having read online reviews, we made our visit there just before lunchtime, and we had our cooler and freezer packs at the ready so that we could leave for home with some good pasture-raised meat, most of which we planned to freeze at home.

Approaching the market, we found out that it no longer serves meals, but that we'd have lunch in the adjacent restaurant, Camp Fire, which had opened recently.

The butchers in the shop are knowledgeable, friendly, and accommodating. Our order included three three-quarter pound packages of ground beef, which the butcher gladly prepared and wrapped in cryo-vac--- a lot of work for a small order! We also bought some pork chops and lamb chops, as well as delicious liverwurst.

I mentioned that I am often nervous about cooking lamb chops, as they are often overlooked or rare. I was given explicit instructions about how to salt, and that I needed to bring the lamb to room temp, allowing it to sit for two hours. [This is basically a quick brine, sans water.] I cooked the chops on a cast iron skillet. THIS WAS THE BEST MEAT I HAVE EATEN IN MY LIFE!

We loved watching the butchers at work. They are clearly proud of their craft and of their carefully sourced meats.

As Camp Fire is attached, but a restaurant, perhaps it should be reviewed separately.
But I will go on.

We thoroughly enjoyed this fantastic burger!
The meat, served rare, was juicy and flavorful.
The Berkshire Mountain Bakery bread, gorgeous local tomato, tasty local lettuce, really good cheddar....Well, it all added up to BURGER PERFECTION. The house-cut fries were perfectly cooked as well. We split a half-pound burger and a super tasty BLT. That was some delicious, smoky bacon! Again, every element of the sandwich was terrific!

We loved the spare environment. Our server was helpful and responsive. Given the quality of the food, we thought the prices were reasonable. In this case, you really do get what you pay for.

We rate this enterprise A+ and are planning to return to Great Barrington with a bigger cooler in the near future.

1  Thank Jacqueline R

Reviewed 27 August 2016 via mobile

We are visiting from out of state and someone mentioned we check out the Campfire Grill, which is the Meat Market Cafe's new restaurant. All locally sourced beef, chicken, fish. We both had the Meat Market Burger. Delicious! Server was excellent; management friendly; nice earthy ambiance. We are Appalachian Trail section hikers on a break, and the GM gladly made room for our backpacks.

Reviewed 24 August 2016 via mobile

Holy cow! I went in for a steak for one after calling ahead to be sure they could do that. I got there and was told that they could only cut a certain size (huge!!), which seemed to be a bit far fetched, since he was using a knife and could place it anywhere on the piece of meat that he wanted to. At that point I wanted to leave, but I felt bad (my fault) and said I would be fine with leftovers. So he cut me a two inch thick ribeye and wrapped it up for me. At the cash register I was whacked with a bill for $48.15!!! So again, I wanted to leave, but felt bad, so pulled out my debit card and winced in pain as he swiped. When I got home and grilled this massive piece of beef, it was okay. Not great. Not terrible. It was just okay. It was NOT what I expected of a $50 steak! Needless to say, I could find a lot better things to spend $50 on. :/

2  Thank Jess M
Reviewed 20 August 2016 via mobile

This is a great place to go to after a good day of skiing. It has the best burger that I have ever had... it is not complex, but the meat is great and it is clearly made with pride. The coffee is great, and, of course, all the other meats are amazing.

The two things that are wrong with this place is that the service is slow, but friendly. The food is also very pricey.

If you are in the area, and you are in the mood for some good meat, this is the place to be.

Reviewed 19 July 2016

My wife and I stopped in for lunch on Wednesday July 13th, 2016. We were met by someone behind the counter who took our order without any greeting and not a word of thanks after I paid him.

We ordered a New York Style hot dog for $6.00 and an aged, cured meat sandwich served with a mini cup of pickles for I believe $9.00. The hot dog was tasty and at $6.00 was acceptable. The sandwich on the other hand was paltry to say the least. It was thick bread (tasty) with a smidgeon of what may have been flavored butter (again, tasty) and a sliver of cured meat (one very thin slice) that you could see right through!

I have spent years in the food business (the last 35 owning a coffee bar/gourmet shop) and know all about food costs and related expenses. I cannot even begin to understand how this particular sandwich was priced at $9. The weight of the meat was negligible. I understand all about the steps involved and the complexities of presenting this style of food, but there is no way this establishment should be serving such a miniscule portion. My wife and I held the sandwich up and all we saw was the bread and somewhere inside was the meat.

We are not the kind of customers to complain and clearly this business is successful. We simply would never go back and we would never recommend it to anyone we know.

1  Thank Dean S